Pregnant Mare

Quote · 2647 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a four year old pregnant mare, that is let out on a fairly skimpy pasture of bermuda grass, fed twice daily. I'm  wondering, what are the key times to have her checked by a vet, and should I be giving her other supplements??

Quote · 2646 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Hooves,

I have worried my way through several pregnancies, helped deliver, and raise a few foals.  All of my mares and foals have done beautifully.  Here is what I do.

The primary diet for any horse (especially a mare in foal) should be free choice - high quality forage in the form of either, grass or hay.  A pregnant mare also requires smaller, more frequent meals because the developing foal leaves little room in the abdomen for feed. Giving your mare free access to high quality forage allows the mare to feed more naturally throughout the day and can drastically reduce or even eliminate the need for expensive concentrated feeds.  You will want to supplement the forage with a quality vitamin-mineral supplement, limited grain, salt, and plenty of fresh clean water.

It is also wise to maintain a regular worming and vaccination program for optimal health.

Regular Vet checks can help to ensure that both, your mare and her foal remain healthy throughout the pregnancy.  Remember that nutritional requirements can vary greatly from one horse to another, so be sure to discuss your mare’s diet and nutritional requirements with your Vet.   Good luck!

Note: Avoid feeding fescue grass and hay.  Fescue is known to be harmful to the mare and unborn foal, especially if fed during the last trimester of pregnancy.

Quote · 2643 days ago · 0 people like this ·

We actually have a good article on fescue poisoning relating to pregnancy, it can be found here: Fescue Toxicosis and Broodmares. We also have a couple of articles on fescue grass in general: Fescue Grass Problems and Fescue in the Horse's Diet

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...