Trail rides
Quote · 2597 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I like to travel a lot, and was wondering if any one knew of any good trail riding areas?

Quote · 2597 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Palo Duro Canyon in Texas is a really neat place to ride. (It's just outside of Amarillo TX.) They actually have designated Equestrian Camping sites where you can camp with your horses, and designated trails for riding. I spent a LOT of time riding down there as a kid, and it's *REALLY* neat riding through the canyon areas. It makes you feel like you've stepped back into the 1800's.

Here's a link to the official site:

Palo Duro Canyon facilities

Fog in the Canyon Fog in the Canyon

Quote · 2594 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Here is a trail ride at Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada.  This might be a fun idea!

Trail Ride in Alberta, Canada at Banff Natl Park

Quote · 2502 days ago · 0 people like this ·

consider quinn meadow horse camp on eastern edge of 3 sisters wilderness area in central oregon.  google quinn meadow for camp info.   hundreds of miles of trails in wilderness and surrounding area, much truly spectacular scenery.

Quote · 2493 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi ochoco01:

I have always heard that the scenery in the state of Oregon is breathtaking.  Any pictures?

Quote · 2354 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I just discovered that there is a branch of the Frisco Railroad "Rails to Trails" project just a few miles from where I live in Willard, MO.

If you aren't familiar with the project, they are working to convert large sections of unused Frisco Railroad tracks into "Greenway Trails" used for walking, Biking and Horseback Riding.

The trail near me is the Frisco Highline Trail, and allows Equestrian Riding on an 11 mile segment from Willard to Walnut Grove, Missouri. They have several trailhead areas with parking, and the trails are free and open to the public. The Trail actually extends from Springfield to Bolivar, but only the Willard to Walnut Grove sections allow horses.

Additionally, Walnut grove's trailhead has lodging and camping nearby, as well as equestrian parking. More info can be found here:

I haven't yet visited the trails, other than to see where they are, but I'm looking forward to trying them out soon.

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...