Detangle My Horses Mane and Tail
Quote · 2544 days ago · 2 people like this ·

My horse got into some terrible burrs.  She is full of them.  It is so bad that I am considering just cutting them out, but before I destroy her beautiful mane and tail, can anyone HELP!   Thanks

Quote · 2538 days ago · 2 people like this ·

Before cutting anything.... try some "Show Sheen" to detangle your horses mane and tail.  Spray it on until the hair is well soaked.  It works best as it dries.  It works great!  You might have to pick out a lot of the burrs,  but they should slip out pretty easily.  Also, try using a wide tooth brush and comb.  Good luck.

Quote · 2116 days ago · 2 people like this ·

That happened to one of my mares a few years back. It took me hours to get them all out. You could try using some baby oil to soften the burrs up so they come out easier. Work from the end of the hairs back toward the horse.

It seems even if there is only one cockle burr plant, the horses will find it and decorate their mane and tail with burrs! lol

Quote · 2116 days ago · 1 people like this ·

Thanks Darkstar... :) lol...... your right my horse looked like she had a bun between her ears!  I ended up getting the burrs out with some Show Sheen and lots of patience!  I'll keep your idea in mind for next time.

Quote · 2116 days ago · 2 people like this ·

LOL, Darkstar, when I was growing up in Amarillo TX, my pony ALWAYs seemed to be able to find the burrs. (Even if he spent all day in the barn.)

I have a theory that horses generate some sort of megnetic field that attracts the burrs, but I can't prove it. ;)

Quote · 1934 days ago · 2 people like this ·

A cost saving tip for those of you who use show sheen, buy a bottle of hair conditioner (human type)  from your local store, mix with water to a ratio of 4 parts water to 1 part conditioner and then put it in a spray bottle.  It works just as well if not better than the more expensive show sheen.  Smile 

Quote · 1931 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Isobel...........Great advise...........I will give it a try for sure!

Quote · 1905 days ago · 2 people like this ·

I like to use Cowboy Majic detangler when I have a problem with manes and tails.  I use it personally since I have hair that can tangle worse than the horses do.

Quote · 1709 days ago · 1 people like this ·

Try a little of WD-40.  Not too much.  Spray on the brush and work out just about anything.

Quote · 1707 days ago · 2 people like this ·

I recently acquired a colt with many burs and "dreadlocks" in his mane and tail. I thought FOR SURE I'd need to roach it. I was at my local farm & feed purchasing some grain when I saw some Mane & Tail detangler. It's a spray bottle, and I paid about $8 for it. After an hour and a half, and a little elbow greese, I FINALLY got the mess taken care of. Here are the "before and after" photos.

Quote · 1669 days ago · 1 people like this ·

The only thing I can think of is to remove them individually by hand, wetting the tail and possibly using an oil to help them slide out

Quote · 1668 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Wow!....Great ideas everyone! Here's one of my horses after a good detangeling and a bathCool

Quote · 1612 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Another solution if it isn't too bad is olive oil.  I get a large spray can of it at Walmart in the isle around shampoo.  

Quote · 1611 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Thanks Lynn_Goin & Winnie1014...Great ideas.

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...