Horse's Tail Going Bald - HELP!
Quote · 2325 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hey Everyone I went out to look my horses over yesterday and almost fainted when I saw that my mare's tail had almost no hair in a section of her tail.  The area begins a couple of inches below the dock, is about 2 inches wide and about 8 inches long. I don't see any problems (so far) on any other part of her body.  Does anyone know the best way to proceed in treating her?  I could really use your help!

Below is a picture.....Thanks

Horse Tail going Bald

Quote · 2324 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Grace

Your horse tail problem may be caused by the need for worming, caused by ticks, lice, or a combination of these.  If you have been worming but aren't getting good results try using Quest wormer.  Quest will purge all worm types; then every three to four months rotate wormers using Panacur, Ivermectin, and Quest.  Each type of wormer works a little differently and the cost varies.  Then to sooth the area on her tail where she has been rubbing you might try Aloe skin gel. Avoid using oinments that are greasy or smell flowery as these will attract dirt and more insects.  Remove any ticks you see by hand.  Finally, to help prevent ticks, flies, and lice you might try a product called Poridon.  It is expensive, but it is a good product and will last a while.  Keep an eye on her and let us know how things are going.   Good Luck!

Quote · 2317 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Thanks a lot, SavannahBreeze, I am taking your advice... I re-wormed my mare with Quest, removed a couple of ticks, used Poridon for flies, ticks, lice, soothed her skin with aloe skin jell, and gave her lots of love.  Now I will keep an eye on her.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote · 2296 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Update on my horses tail.   The Vet came out to check on one of my horses with an allergic reaction to something.  At any rate I had him look at my mare's tail while he was here.  He agreed with your suggestions but added one other idea; to wash the affected area with betadine wash several days in a row.  He said that the area had built up some scar tissue and may or may not grow back some of all of the hair.

Thanks again for the help when I needed it.

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...