Back Pain
Quote · 2094 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a 13 year old Morgan cross gelding, he is about 15hh.  He seems to be suffering from back pain.  When saddling he pins his ears and throws his head up, when we tighten the cinch he tries to bit us.   When I mount him he throws up his head and pins his ears once more, we work through the gaits and at the trot and canter he drops or pulls up his head with his ears pinned.  He doesn't seem to show these signs after about a week of not riding.  I have put up to 6 different saddles on him and even more pads, the pain seems to be mainly on the right side of his withers and under his belly where the cinch goes.  If anyone can give me any advice on what to do it is welcome, thanks!

Quote · 2085 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Sarah:

I'm so sorry to hear that your Morgan is having some possible back problems.  Have you spoken to a vet?

Quote · 1416 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Yes, saddle fit is probably the culprit.  Another possibility could be ulcers.  Have a through vet work-up and if everything comes back normal... consult a chiropractor and/or massage therapist.  Probably been in pain so long that there could be permanent damage. Frown

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...