Pregnant Mare

Quote · 1888 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I bought a Haflinger mare at the beginning of May, she is six years old broke to drive and ride.  She is now starting to get quite a belly on her, I am sure she is pregnant but is there a way for the vet to tell how far along she is.  If she is going to foal when it is really cold I will have to come up with a stall for her.  I have no idea what she might be bred to, don't know if it happened at the sale barn or what.  If it happened then she would have it in April which would be fine.  I know she should have shots but it is so long since I had a colt to plan for I don't remember what they are.  I would appreciate any comments or ideas.

Cestria

Quote · 1833 days ago · 0 people like this ·

It's a very good idea to have your mare checked by a vet.  The vet can tell you aprox. when your mare should foal.  Your vet can also tell you what the early signs of imminent delivery are, what you should do and not do, and when to call the vet for help.  It's a very exciting time!  Good luck and let us know how everything goes!  

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...