Sick horse and my Vet can't figure it out!

Quote · 539 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a 15 year old QH Gelding that has lost about 800lbs. Acts as tho depressed, tongue hangs out, appears as tho he gets lock jaw at times, walks three circles to the left. He almost looks like brain or stroke To me. Will not allow you to touch the left side of his mouth. Walks as tho he is drunk. Was unable at first to focus, I had to guide his head to feed bucket and could only eat Oatmeal/Molassas/Raw Egg.

Tested negative for West Nole, Encephalitis and Equine Herpes. Vet have him an IV of Dextros and DMSO.

He is now eating the same mixture but since have added 1 1/2 scoop Sr feed. He is more alert now but still has the same symptoms. My vet is at a loss as to what now to do. I do have video and pics available.

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...