Spoiled Horse?
Quote · 1880 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hello, I am a new horse owner and I need some advice please.  My horse is gentle and kind but I believe has been spoiled as she tends to crowd me.  She does not respect my personal space and always tries to grab a mouthful of grass when I'm leading her to the round pen. 

How do I establish leadership and gain her respect?  She is six years old and green broke. What training she has had has been English and I want to ride Western.  What are some methods used by forum users that have worked for you?  Of the various trainers out there with 'How To' videos, who would you recommend and why?  I started taking riding lessons but I am thinking I need to go back and concentrate on basics starting with ground manners.  Anyone have any advice?

Quote · 1852 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I'm a trainer here in Texas and the first thing i would advise you to do is send her to a trainer since you have stated that you are a new horse owner. How ever if you want to do it your self i have a few tips to try. First you are right about going back to the basices. Get her to the round pen and start from scratch. This will not only help your horse but also you. I would start by asablishing direction. Start your horse going in one direction and make sure she continues in only that direction. Once you asablish that have her switch by turning in toward you. If she fails to turn inward countine in the first direction til she does. Now if you can do all this at a walk perfect if not i encourge you to make sure the amount of pressure you put on her via lung whip or rope like i use is light. Always start slow and work up to fast. This will help astablish whos the boss of the herd. Once you have her switching sides perfectly you can start hooking her on to you and sending her away and around. I will let you know that if your horse is not responding after an hour of going threw direction changes you might want to consider a trainer. But hopefully the trainer that did work with her taught her right and you should have no proplems getting this down. If you try this and want more tips feel free to email me at shadowsfairwell@hotmail.com. I am a proffesional Trainer for Western Pleasure along with Trail and general horsmanship so feel free to ask away.

Quote · 1665 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Do not use a separate trainer.  This is suggested by people who want to make money off you and it will not help.  Here is why.  The horse may get trained to do some things quite well.  Then the horse is sent back to you.  Now you don't know what was done or how.  So you continue to do what you always did, and the horse reverts back to his original problematic behavior.  Then you send him again to the trainer or sell him.  Didn't fix much did it??  No, instead you start asking questions of learned horse people (As you are), hire a trainer who can work WITH you and the horse together. 

Define your space with the horse.  Walk him inside in an arena.  Walk on his left side without letting him walk in front of or behind you.  When you stop, he stops.  If he:

1.  keeps walking....a short tug on the lead rope until he stops, then release pressure and praise.

2.  turns his head into your space.....correct with a soft short jab to the nose area, continue until he keeps his head turned facing ahead and out of your space.

Keep practicing this until he walks with you, and stops putting his nose in your space.  When correcting tell him no.  When he follows direction, reward by releasing pressure and petting him. 

Now you are ready to move on to the round pen.  Repeat everything above if he fails to walk with you, attempts to pull away for grass, walk faster than you, etc.

A young horse has a short attention span.  Anything done for more than 15 minutes he will get bored.  Change what you are doing, and go back to it after a short break.  Always end with success.  If its closing on the 15 minutes and he does one thing right, that is where you end that session.

Hope this helps

Quote · 1518 days ago · 0 people like this ·

You can both learn Groundwork together as it is easier to learn with work and research (like methods advised above). Although becasue she is quite green and I dont now how advanced as a rider you are in either disciplines, the training in western riding (though she is trained in English) I would advise sending her to a well-reputed trainer to back her to western aids. Backing can be difficult especilly if you are unsure of your aids and cues because your mare might not understand them.

Good luck with your new horse and because its your first horse you get the fun of learning more and more about her. 

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...