White Line Disease

Quote · 1555 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a six year old gelding who has suffered from white line disease since 18 months of age.    He has been always been barefoot and had a natural, balanced trim.   His hooves have never been neglected nor has he stood around in dirty stalls, though when this began, he was on a wet pasture.    One hoof has never been affected.   He has had resection, casts, Sav-a-Hoof soaks and gel, White Lightening soaks and gel, and Clean Trax as well as 7% iodine.   He has been on Platform Hoof Supplement and Nu-Hoof Supplement.   I have used Fungi-dye and Magic Hoof packing.    He is currently fed 1.5 lbs. of Safe Choice 2x a day and free choice pasture and/or grass hay, according to the time of year, as well as free choice white salt.  He was on a Tribute feed until someone told me that yeast can cause laminitis and it has yeast in it.   He has been on good pasture for the last 3 years and is turned out except in the worst weather.    Currently, he is turned out in boots during the day.    I'm leaving him in the stall at night so his hooves have a chance to air out.    I put a Kotex sprayed with Spectra-San in the boots before putting them on him.     I am riding him lightly.   He has only been lame for a few days during the 4.5 years we have been battling this.   My vet believes he may have permanent vascular damage.     My farrier thinks this is nonsense.    She talked me into trying Oil of Oregano as she believes it is a systemic problem.    It blistered his lips, so I stopped that in short order.     He is a good, healthy weight, with shiny coat and bright eyes.   He is sometimes very lethargic, though, and likes to take a 1.5 hour nap every morning (laid out) after breakfast.     He is an American Saddlebred and lethargy is certainly not usually associated with this breed (his Mother at 22 is still full of fire).   We have five horses and none of the others has this problem.    My horses are groomed twice daily, wiped down with fly repellant and have their hooves picked.    They are very well cared for.    I love this horse so much - he is quite a character - very smart and willing.    I am sooooo tired of killing myself over this.   I have literally laid in my aisle and cried more times than I can tell you.    Does anyone have any IDEAS?    Smark Pak has suggested I try their Smart Sox supplement combined with Farrier's Formula.    You can see where I might be less than optimistic.     I have spent SO much money.    

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...