Showing Help
Quote · 2621 days ago · 0 people like this ·

HI. I have a missouri Fox trotter gelding i am planning in showing into halter showmanship and  gaited western pleasure. He is 6 and turning  in may. Could you please tell me some things to help me in this showing classes for i am trying to teach him along with my self!.

Quote · 2615 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Hi Icy:

I would say that one place to start would be at your local Missouri Fox Trotting Horse Breed Association (MFTHBA).  They should be able to provide some guidance on getting started.  You could attend some of their show events and start asking around.  All Show Members had to get started somehow, so they should be stocked with information to help you.  There is an annual Fox Trotter Show in Ava, Missouri called the "Celebration", which is a really big show. But you could get a list of all the shows for the year and attend as many of them as possible.

You might also consider getting some books on "Horse Show Judging for Beginners" or similar books.  Understanding what a judge is looking for can help you develop both yours and your horses skills.  You might find some related books in the "General Store" here.  I took a look and there are over 164 books related to "Horse Shows".

Good Luck!  Please share back as you move forward with your endeavours.  I would love to know how it goes for you, what you find out, and where you get your best information.

Forums Home
Hello Guest! Join | Login

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...