1988 Epsom Derby
The 1988 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on Wednesday June 1, 1988. It was the 209th running of the Derby, and it was won by Kahyasi. The winner was ridden by Ray Cochrane and trained by Luca Cumani. The pre-race favourite Red Glow finished fourth.
- Sponsor: Ever Ready
- Winner's prize money: £296,500
- Going: Good
- Number of runners: 14
- Winner's time: 2m 33.84s
|1||Kahyasi||Ray Cochrane||Luca Cumani||11/1|
|2||1½||Glacial Storm||Michael Hills||Barry Hills||14/1|
|3||1½||Doyoun||Walter Swinburn||Michael Stoute||9/1|
|4||½||Red Glow||Pat Eddery||Geoff Wragg||5/2 fav|
|5||nk||Kefaah||John Reid||Luca Cumani||25/1|
|6||3||Sheriff's Star||Tony Ives||Lady Herries||18/1|
|7||hd||Unfuwain||Steve Cauthen||Dick Hern||9/2|
|8||6||Minster Son||Willie Carson||Dick Hern||6/1|
|9||½||Project Manager||Kevin Manning||Jim Bolger (IRE)||66/1|
|10||2½||Al Mufti||Richard Hills||Harry Thomson Jones||14/1|
|11||1||Charmer||Paul Eddery||Dick Hern||11/1|
|12||Clifton Chapel||Billy Newnes||Steve Norton||100/1|
|13||Maksud||Michael Roberts||Robert Armstrong||200/1|
|14||Al Muhalhal||Paul D'Arcy||Harry Thomson Jones||500/1|
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. hd = head; nk = neck.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Kahyasi:
- Foaled: April 2, 1985 in Ireland
- Sire: Ile de Bourbon; Dam: Kadissya (Blushing Groom)
- Owner: HH Aga Khan IV
- Breeder: HH Aga Khan IV
- Rating in 1988 International Classifications: 126
Notable runs by the future Derby participants as two-year-olds in 1987.
- Glacial Storm – 1st Horris Hill Stakes
- Sheriff's Star – 2nd Futurity Stakes
- Unfuwain – 1st Haynes, Hanson and Clark Stakes
- Minster Son – 5th Horris Hill Stakes
- Clifton Chapel – 6th Prix Saint-Roman
The road to Epsom
Early-season appearances in 1988 and trial races prior to running in the Derby.
- Kahyasi – 1st Lingfield Derby Trial
- Sheriff's Star – 2nd Predominate Stakes
- Unfuwain – 1st Warren Stakes, 1st Chester Vase
- Clifton Chapel – 1st Dee Stakes
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Group 1 / Grade I victories after running in the Derby.
- Kahyasi – Irish Derby (1988)
- Minster Son – St. Leger (1988)