1999 Epsom Derby
The 1999 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on Saturday June 5, 1999. It was the 220th running of the Derby, and it was won by Oath. The winner was ridden by Kieren Fallon and trained by Henry Cecil. The pre-race favourite Dubai Millennium finished ninth.
- Sponsor: Vodafone
- Winner's prize money: £611,450
- Going: Good (Good to Soft in places)
- Number of runners: 16
- Winner's time: 2m 37.43s
|1||Oath||Kieren Fallon||Henry Cecil||13/2|
|2||1¾||Daliapour||Gérald Mossé||Luca Cumani||10/1|
|3||1½||Beat All||Gary Stevens||Sir Michael Stoute||7/1|
|4||shd||Housemaster||Willie Ryan||Michael Bell||12/1|
|5||1¼||All the Way||Johnny Murtagh||Terry Mills||33/1|
|6||nk||Glamis||Ray Cochrane||John Gosden||40/1|
|7||1¼||Saffron Walden||Michael Kinane||Aidan O'Brien (IRE)||8/1|
|8||1½||Compton Admiral||Thierry Jarnet||Gerard Butler||25/1|
|9||1½||Dubai Millennium||Frankie Dettori||Saeed bin Suroor||5/1 fav|
|10||3||Brancaster||Jimmy Fortune||Peter Chapple-Hyam||20/1|
|11||hd||Val Royal||Olivier Peslier||André Fabre (FR)||14/1|
|12||1¼||Zaajer||Richard Hills||Ed Dunlop||16/1|
|13||shd||Adair||Daragh O'Donohoe||Saeed bin Suroor||16/1|
|14||1¼||Salford Express||Pat Eddery||David Elsworth||12/1|
|15||9||Lucido||Richard Quinn||John Dunlop||13/2|
|16||1||Through the Rye||Michael Hills||Barry Hills||100/1|
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. shd = short-head; hd = head; nk = neck.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Oath:
- Foaled: April 22, 1996 in Ireland
- Owner: The Thoroughbred Corp.
- Breeder: Mrs Max Morris
- Rating in 1999 International Classifications: 123
Notable runs by the future Derby participants as two-year-olds in 1998.
- Saffron Walden – 2nd Killavullan Stakes
- Brancaster – 1st Horris Hill Stakes
- Lucido – 3rd Preis des Winterfavoriten
The road to Epsom
Early-season appearances in 1999 and trial races prior to running in the Derby.
- Oath – 1st Dee Stakes
- Beat All – 1st Newmarket Stakes
- Saffron Walden – 1st Leopardstown 2,000 Guineas Trial Stakes, 1st Irish 2,000 Guineas
- Dubai Millennium – 1st Predominate Stakes
- Zaajer – 1st Glasgow Stakes
- Salford Express – 1st Dante Stakes
- Lucido – 1st Lingfield Derby Trial
- Through the Rye – 4th Dee Stakes
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Group 1 / Grade I victories after running in the Derby.
- Housemaster – Hong Kong Champions & Chater Cup (2000)
- Compton Admiral – Eclipse Stakes (1999)
- Dubai Millennium – Prix Jacques Le Marois (1999), Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (1999), Dubai World Cup (2000), Prince of Wales's Stakes (2000)
- Val Royal – Breeders' Cup Mile (2001)