2001 Epsom Derby
The 2001 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on Saturday June 9, 2001. It was the 222nd running of the Derby, and it was won by the pre-race joint favourite Galileo. The winner was ridden by Michael Kinane and trained by Aidan O'Brien. The other joint favourite Golan finished second.
- Sponsor: Vodafone
- Winner's prize money: £580,000
- Going: Good to Firm
- Number of runners: 12
- Winner's time: 2m 33.27s
|1||Galileo||Michael Kinane||Aidan O'Brien (IRE)||11/4 jf|
|2||3½||Golan||Pat Eddery||Sir Michael Stoute||11/4 jf|
|3||nk||Tobougg||Frankie Dettori||Saeed bin Suroor||9/1|
|4||1¾||Mr Combustible||Richard Hills||Barry Hills||20/1|
|5||½||Storming Home||Michael Hills||Barry Hills||14/1|
|6||nk||Perfect Sunday||Richard Hughes||Barry Hills||9/2|
|7||1¾||Dilshaan||Johnny Murtagh||Sir Michael Stoute||5/1|
|8||1||Putra Sandhurst||Philip Robinson||Michael Jarvis||16/1|
|9||nk||Sunny Glenn||Jason Weaver||Nick Littmoden||150/1|
|10||6||Chancellor||Richard Quinn||Barry Hills||25/1|
|11||1¾||King Carew||Craig Williams||Mick Channon||200/1|
|12||1½||Cashel Bay||John Carroll||Luke Comer (IRE)||300/1|
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. nk = neck.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, Galileo:
- Foaled: March 30, 1998 in Ireland
- Breeder: David Tsui and Orpendale
- Rating in 2001 International Classifications: 129
Notable runs by the future Derby participants as two-year-olds in 2000.
- Perfect Sunday – 2nd Washington Singer Stakes
- Dilshaan – 1st Racing Post Trophy
- King Carew – 5th Autumn Stakes
- Cashel Bay – 16th Eyrefield Stakes
The road to Epsom
Early-season appearances in 2001 and trial races prior to running in the Derby.
- Golan – 1st 2,000 Guineas
- Tobougg – 9th 2,000 Guineas
- Mr Combustible – 1st Chester Vase
- Perfect Sunday – 1st Lingfield Derby Trial
- Dilshaan – 1st Dante Stakes
- Putra Sandhurst – 2nd Lingfield Derby Trial
- Chancellor – 1st Sandown Classic Trial
- Cashel Bay – 5th Leopardstown 2,000 Guineas Trial Stakes, 4th Amethyst Stakes, 6th Saval Beg Stakes, 12th Irish 2,000 Guineas
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Group 1 / Grade I victories after running in the Derby.
- Golan – King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2002)