2004 Epsom Derby
The 2004 Epsom Derby was a horse race which took place at Epsom Downs on Saturday June 5, 2004. It was the 225th running of the Derby, and it was won by the pre-race joint favourite North Light. The winner was ridden by Kieren Fallon and trained by Sir Michael Stoute. The other joint favourite Snow Ridge finished seventh.
- Sponsor: Vodafone
- Winner's prize money: £788,220
- Going: Good
- Number of runners: 14
- Winner's time: 2m 33.72s
|1||North Light||Kieren Fallon||Sir Michael Stoute||7/2 jf|
|2||1½||Rule of Law||Kerrin McEvoy||Saeed bin Suroor||20/1|
|3||hd||Let the Lion Roar||Michael Kinane||John Dunlop||14/1|
|4||hd||Percussionist||Kevin Darley||John Gosden||7/1|
|5||3||Salford City||Johnny Murtagh||David Elsworth||8/1|
|6||1½||American Post||Richard Hughes||Criquette Head-Maarek (FR)||13/2|
|7||1¾||Snow Ridge||Frankie Dettori||Saeed bin Suroor||7/2 jf|
|8||hd||Hazyview||Eddie Ahern||Neville Callaghan||40/1|
|9||1½||Pukka||Darryll Holland||Luca Cumani||10/1|
|10||2½||Gatwick||Richard Quinn||Mick Channon||16/1|
|11||nk||Massif Centrale||Dane O'Neill||David Elsworth||100/1|
|12||19||Coming Again||Michael Hills||Barry Hills||80/1|
|13||1¼||Elshadi||Martin Dwyer||Marcus Tregoning||25/1|
|14||7||Meath||Jamie Spencer||Aidan O'Brien (IRE)||16/1|
* The distances between the horses are shown in lengths or shorter. hd = head; nk = neck.
† Trainers are based in Great Britain unless indicated.
Further details of the winner, North Light:
- Foaled: March 1, 2001 in Ireland
- Owner: Ballymacoll Stud
- Breeder: Ballymacoll Stud Farm Ltd
- Rating in 2004 World Thoroughbred Racehorse Rankings: 122
Notable runs by the future Derby participants as two-year-olds in 2003.
- Let the Lion Roar – 2nd Haynes, Hanson and Clark Stakes
The road to Epsom
Early-season appearances in 2004 and trial races prior to running in the Derby.
- North Light – 1st Dante Stakes
- Rule of Law – 2nd Dante Stakes
- Let the Lion Roar – 3rd Dante Stakes
- Percussionist – 1st Lingfield Derby Trial
- Snow Ridge – 2nd 2,000 Guineas
- Gatwick – 1st Haydock Silver Bowl
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Group 1 / Grade I victories after running in the Derby.
- Rule of Law – St. Leger (2004)