2008 Melbourne Cup
On December 3, 2008, Luca Cumani, trainer of second-place Bauer, announced that an inquiry was underway into treatment Bauer received on the Thursday prior to the race. The treatment was a form of physio therapy that is illegal to administer within 7 days of a race; as a result of the treatment, Bauer could have been stripped of his second place. However, Racing Victoria announced on December 4 that Bauer would not be disqualified. 
The official field for the cup including horses scratched after the field was finalised.
|Entry Order||Horse||Trainer||Jockey||Weight (kg)||Barrier[b]||Placing|
|1||Septimus||Aidan O'Brien||J P Murtagh||58.5||10||18|
|2||Master O'Reilly||Danny O'Brien||V Duric||55||6||4|
|3||Honolulu||Aidan O'Brien||Colm O’Donoghue||54.5||24||21|
|4||C’est La Guerre||John Sadler||B Prebble||54||5||3|
|5||Nom Du Jeu||Murray Baker||J Lloyd||54||1||8|
|6||Yellowstone||Jane Chapple-Hyam||J F Egan||54||scr||scr |
|7||Zipping||John Sadler||D Nikolic||54||16||9|
|8||Mad Rush||Luca Cumani||Damien Oliver||53.5||4||7|
|9||Ice Chariot||Ron Maund||M Rodd||53||22||11|
|10||Viewed||Bart Cummings||B Shinn||53||9||1|
|11||Littorio||Nigel Blackiston||S R King||52.5||17||13|
|12||Bauer||Luca Cumani||C W Brown||52||13||2|
|13||Boundless||Stephen Mckee||G J Childs||52||20||15|
|14||Gallopin||Danny O'Brien||J Winks||52||21||DNF|
|15||Guyno||Lou Luciani||C Newitt||52||8||12|
|16||Zarita||Pat Hyland||D Dunn||52||scr||scr |
|17||Newport||Paul Perry||Chris Symons||51.5||15||10|
|18||Profound Beauty||Dermot K Weld||Glen Boss||51.5||2||5|
|19||Red Lord||Anthony Cummings||Nicholas Hall[a]||51.5||14||16|
|20||Varevees||Richard Gibson||Craig Williams||51.5||23||14|
|21||Prize Lady||Graeme Sanders||M C Sweeney||51||18||17|
|22||Alessandro Volta||Aidan O'Brien||W M Lordan||50.5||11||20|
|23||Barbaricus||Danny O'Brien||S Baster||50.5||3||19|
|24||Moatize||Bart Cummings||Ms C Lindop||50||19||6|
- a Apprentice jockey.
- b Horses in barriers to the outside of the scratched horse will move inwards.
- 1 Yellowstone scratched by vets, after failing to recover from a hip injury sustained last week.
- 2 Gallopin did not finish
- 4 a probe into treatment Bauer received prior to the race could have resulted in the horse being stripped of second place
|3rd||5||C'est La Guerre (NZ)|
|4th||6||Master O'Reilly (NZ)|
|5th||2||Profound Beauty (IRE)|
|7th||4||Mad Rush (USA)|
|8th||1||Nom du Jeu (NZ)|
|17th||16||Prize Lady (NZ)|
|20th||10||Alessandro Volta (GBR)|
- ↑ 2008 Melbourne Cup result
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 AAP (December 3, 2008). "Melbourne Cup runner-up Bauer in probe". The West Australian. http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=20&ContentID=111228. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Bauer keeps Melbourne Cup placing". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. December 4, 2008. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/04/2437851.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-26.
- ↑ "emirates melbourne cup day - Tuesday, 4 November 2008". Victoria Racing Club. http://www.flemington.com.au/Victoria-Racing-Club-Racing-Information-Outdoor-Events-278.html. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- ↑ "Zarita and Yellowstone out of Cup". Victoria Racing Club. 3 November 2008. http://www.flemington.com.au/Melbourne-Cup-Carnival-Racing-News-and-Information-News-23.html. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- ↑ "Where they finished in the Melbourne Cup". Sydney Morning Herald. November 4, 2008. http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/horseracing/where-they-finished-in-the-melbourne-cup/2008/11/04/1225560816668.html. Retrieved 2008-11-04.