2010 Kentucky Derby
|136th Kentucky Derby|
Presented by Yum! Brands
Official logo for the 2010 Kentucky Derby
|Date||May 1, 2010|
|Winning horse||Super Saver|
|Winning Jockey||Calvin Borel|
The 2010 Kentucky Derby was the 136th running of the Kentucky Derby. The race took place on May 1, 2010, and was televised in the United States on the NBC television network. The post time was EDT ( UTC). The stakes of the race were US$2,185,200. The race was sponsored by Yum! Brands and hence officially was called Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands.
Super Saver won the race with Calvin Borel as jockey. Borel became the first jockey to win three Kentucky Derby titles in a four-year span. Ice Box, Paddy O'Prado and Make Music for Me finished second, third and fourth, respectively. Attendance was listed at 155,804, making it the sixth-largest in Derby history. Total betting exceeded US$ for the main pool, and for the exacta.
After early favorite Eskendereya was withdrawn due to a swollen leg the week prior to the 2010 Kentucky Derby, the field was left with no clear favorite. Lookin At Lucky was the race-time favorite, but only at odds of 6-1 against victory. Those odds tied the highest odds for a favorite in the history of the Derby. Post positions were drawn Thursday, April 29, 2010.
In what was considered "the most wide-open Derby in years", Super Saver hit the lead at the top of the stretch and held on to win the 136th Kentucky Derby. Jockey Calvin Borel captured his third Derby win in the last four years, while trainer Todd Pletcher picked up his first Derby victory in 25 tries.
The track was wet and sloppy due to rain the previous night and nearly all day on Derby Day. Amazingly, after a windy, rain-soaked day at Churchill Downs, the sun came out just shortly before race time. The winning time was 2:04.45, and the margin of victory was listed as 2 1/2 lengths. Trained by Nick Zito, Ice Box came from well back in the pack to narrowly beat Paddy O'Prado for second place.
Super Saver started the day as the second favorite behind Lookin At Lucky. Coming out of the No. 4 gate, Borel immediately broke towards the inside rail, a strategy he often employs. He then pulled the horse back, rounding the final turn in fourth place, and charged to victory along the rail, holding off the impressive late charge from Ice Box on the sloppy track. It was the horse's first victory since winning the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes as a two-year-old. Pre-race favorite Lookin At Lucky was hampered by drawing the No. 1 post. He was pinned on the rail early and did not get adequate running room until it was too late, finishing sixth.
- Margins – 2½ lengths, neck
- Time – 2:04:45
- Track – Sloppy
- Kentucky Derby 2010 Prep Schedule
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 "11th Race, Churchill Downs, May 1, 2010". Daily Racing Form. drf.com. 2010-05-01. http://www.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=CD&CTY=USA&DATE=20100501&RN=11. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tom Luicci (May 1, 2010). "Kentucky Derby Notebook: Lookin At Lucky, Ice Box run into trouble". The Star-Ledger (NJ.com). http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2010/05/kentucky_derby_notebook_lookin.html. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Kentucky Derby 2010 Live Odds". KentuckyDerby.com. May 1, 2010. http://www.kentuckyderby.com/contenders/live-odds. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Harris, Beth (May 1, 2010). "Super Saver wins Kentucky Derby with Borel aboard". Associated Press. http://signonsandiego.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Super+Saver+wins+Kentucky+Derby+with+Borel+aboard+-+SignOnSanDiego.com&expire=&urlID=426072158&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.signonsandiego.com%2Fnews%2F2010%2Fmay%2F01%2Fsuper-saver-wins-kentucky-derby-with-borel-aboard%2F&partnerID=86541. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ↑ Privman, Jay (2010-04-29). "Lookin At Lucky draws the rail". ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown2010/news/story?id=5142848. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- ↑ "Super Derby for Pletcher, Borel". Bisnet.com. KentuckyDerby.com. May 1, 2010. http://www.kentuckyderby.com/news/2010/05/01/super-derby-pletcher-borel. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- ↑ Jeffrey McMurray (May 1, 2010). "Nothing lucky about Derby favorite Lookin At Lucky". The Associated Press. Google. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipByOOcyUyIRCr8OIar037Voo9ZAD9FEC3AG0. Retrieved May 1, 2010.