2010 New Zealand Derby
The race was one of the most highly anticipated runnings of the New Zealand Derby in years, with a dual Group 1-winning colt seeking to win the VRC Derby-New Zealand Derby double and two high-class fillies entered to take on the males in an attempt to secure a rare win for a filly in New Zealand's most prestigious three-year-old race.
The favourite was Zarzuela, a daughter of Zabeel who in an impressive Derby campaign won the Great Northern Guineas, Waikato Guineas and Championship Stakes.
The other top filly in the race was Katie Lee, a winner of six stakes races who in November made history by becoming the first horse to win both the New Zealand 2000 Guineas and New Zealand 1000 Guineas. Many doubted her ability to stay the 2400m of the race and perhaps that factor, combined with a gruelling 10-race campaign exclusively at stakes level and the slightly shifty track conditions of the Derby, was her undoing.
Of the male horses, the most talked-about was VRC Derby winner Monaco Consul. The son of High Chapparral was seeking to become the first horse ever to win the VRC-New Zealand Derby double. He extinguished his own chances by running out badly at the last turn.
The other highly fancied runner was Corporal Jones, who in five career starts had never finished further back than second. After a memorable two-horse battle down the straight in the Championship Stakes between Corporal Jones and Zarzuela, many predicted a repeat in the Derby and that the same two horses would have the race to themselves.
But in the excitement of the head-bobbing finish between those two horses in the Championship Stakes, many overlooked the strong run from well back in the field by 2000 Guineas runner-up Military Move, who went out on Derby day at 15-1.
It was Military Move who took the honours, though, handling the 2400m of the Derby brilliantly and aided by a perfect ride from Michael Walker. Walker, who in May 2008 was nearly killed when he fell 10m down a bank while on a pig hunting trip, celebrated the win in a memorable and emotional manner. It was his first Group 1 win since his accident, and a race he later said he had always dreamt of winning.
- Sponsor: Telecom
- Prize money: NZ$2.2 million
- Track: Good
- Number of runners: 15
- Winner's time: 2:27.91
|1||Military Move||Michael Walker||Shaune Ritchie||$15.80|
|2||1||Corporal Jones||Zac Purton||Andrew Scott||$7.20|
|3||nse||Handsome Zulu||Mark Du Plessis||John Sargent||$15.10|
|4||1 1/2||Zarzuela||James McDonald||Mark Walker||$3.60|
|5||1 1/4||Time Keeper||Andrew Calder||Graeme Nicholson & Paul Allbon||$56.80|
|6||2||Martial Art||Vinnie Colgan||Mark Walker||$53.00|
|7||2 3/4||No Emotion||Jonathan Riddell||John Sargent||$123.30|
|8||3/4||Jungle Juice||Troy Harris||Donna, Dean Logan & Chris Gibbs||$88.50|
|9||1||Imabayboy||Michael Coleman||Trent Busuttin||$24.00|
|10||3/4||Ballybit||Matthew Cameron||Allan Sharrock||$81.50|
|11||3/4||Monaco Consul||Leith Innes||Mike & Paul Moroney||$3.40|
|12||1/2||Volgus||Allan Peard||Allan Sharrock||$114.90|
|13||3 1/4||Smokin' Gun||Lisa Allpress||Craig Thornton||$98.90|
|14||nse||Katie Lee||Opie Bosson||Graeme & Debbie Rogerson||$6.20|
|15||1||King Raedwald||Hayden Tinsley||Kevin Gray||$20.90|
Further details of the winner, Military Move:
- Foaled: October 7, 2006 in New Zealand
- Sire: Volksraad; Dam: All Night Party (Just A Dancer)
- Owner: Steven Lo
- Trainer: Shaune Ritchie
- Breeder: Windsor Park Stud
- Starts: 8
- Wins: 2
- Seconds: 2
- Thirds: 1
- Earnings: $1,502,775
The road to the Derby
Early-season appearances in 2009-10 prior to running in the Derby.
- Military Move – 2nd Bonecrusher Stakes, 3rd Wellington Guineas, 2nd New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 5th Wellington Stakes, 4th Waikato Guineas, 5th Championship Stakes
- Corporal Jones – 2nd Waikato Guineas, 2nd Championship Stakes
- Handsome Zulu – 2nd Wellington Stakes
- Zarzuela – 8th Levin Classic, 1st Great Northern Guineas, 1st Waikato Guineas, 1st Championship Stakes
- Time Keeper – 3rd Great Northern Guineas, 3rd Karaka Mile, 4th Championship Stakes
- Martial Art – 3rd Karaka Mile, 7th Championship Stakes
- Jungle Juice – 3rd Waikato Guineas, 13th Championship Stakes
- Imabayboy – 5th Waikato Guineas
- Smokin' Gun – 13th Waikato Guineas
- Katie Lee – 3rd Gold Trail Stakes, 1st James & Annie Sarten Memorial Stakes, 1st New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 1st New Zealand 1000 Guineas, 2nd Eulogy Stakes, 1st Eight Carat Classic, 2nd Royal Stakes, 3rd Desert Gold Stakes, 1st Sir Tristram Fillies Classic
- King Raedwald – 4th Levin Classic, 3rd Championship Stakes
Subsequent Group 1 wins
Subsequent wins at Group 1 level by runners in the 2010 New Zealand Derby.
- Time Keeper - 2010 Easter Handicap