Bay Meadows Racetrack
Built on the site of an old airfield, Bay Meadows Racecourse was the longest continually operating thoroughbred racetrack in California, having been founded on November 13, 1934 until its closure in August 2008. The innovative William P. Kyne introduced pari-mutuel wagering, the popular Daily Double, the first all-enclosed starting gate, the totalizator board and the photo-finish camera at Bay Meadows.
Prior to the track's closure, the Bay Meadows Handicap had been the longest continually run stakes event in California, having been started in 1934. Seabiscuit won this race twice: 1937 and 1938. The track was allowed to remain open during World War II because of its agreement to give 92% of its profits towards the war effort. The track generated more than $4 million for War Relief projects during the war years. Its ability to run during the war accounts for its status as the longest continually operating US racetrack. In 1945, the first racehorse to be transported by plane, El Lobo, was set down in the parking lot.
In 1954, 1955, and 1956 the track was used for Nascar.
All of the exterior scenes in Stanley Kubrick's 1956 heist movie The Killing were filmed at Bay Meadows. The track was renamed as Landsdowne for the movie, but the Bay Meadows name is visible in at least one early scene of the movie.
Bay Meadows' racing season began in August with the San Mateo County Fair portion of the meet, which ran two weeks. This was followed by a short break of a few days; until recently this break avoided conflict with the first week-and-a-half of the California State Fair horse race meet. Racing picked up again on Labor Day Weekend (or thereabouts) with the main throroughbred meet, which was split into two parts--one in the fall, the other in the spring/early summer (Golden Gate Fields' meet took place in the interim in the winter/early spring).
Throughout its history, Bay Meadows has also hosted harness and quarter horse racing meets, but due to the low revenue such events generate, those events were not run in the last years of the track. At the end, Bay Meadows focused exclusively on thoroughbred racing. Olden Times, Silky Sullivan, Citation, John Henry, Round Table, and Lost in the Fog have raced here. In 1954, Determine won the Bay Meadows Handicap and then went to take the Kentucky Derby. Wild Again ran at Bay Meadows in 1984 and then went on to win the Breeders' Cup Classic. On December 1, 2006, jockey Russell Baze won the fourth race to pass Laffit Pincay, Jr. as the winningest rider in thoroughbred horse racing.
There was talk through the 2000s of demolishing Bay Meadows due to plans to build an entirely new race track near Dixon, California to replace the San Mateo race track and Bay Meadows remained open on a year-by-year case basis. The Bay Meadows Phase II Specific Plan Amendment was adopted by the city council of the city of San Mateo on November 7, 2005 . The plan calls for 1,250,000 square feet (116,000 m2) of office space, 1,250 residential units, 150,000 square feet (14,000 m2) of retail space, and 15 acres (61,000 m2) of public parks, as well as a rebuilt Hillsdale Caltrain station near the site of the old Bay Meadows Caltrain station.
ClosureCalifornia Horse Racing Board, it was announced that Bay Meadows intended to close November 4, 2006 immediately following its summer-fall season. 
However, on July 3, 2007 the California Horse Racing Board unanimously voted to approve a one-year exemption for Bay Meadows to continue horse racing in 2008 on its current racing surface. Bay Meadows was open to race for its last Spring Meet, February 6, 2008 thru May 11, 2008. From May 14 to August 4, simulcasting occurred in Bay Meadows every open day, with free parking on August 4, free admission on August 11, and both on August 18.  There were ten final race dates run in August 2008 for the San Mateo County Fair, with the last official race occurring on August 17, 2008. The last day Bay Meadows was open for simulcasting was on August 18, 2008. An auction for Bay Meadows paintings occurred from August 23 to August 25.  Construction began on a housing and commercial development in September 2008.  Criticism from local newspapers and community groups came when after the demolition of the grandstand and clubhouse, debris waiting to be recycled was left in "unsightly" piles on the site for several months. 
Bay Meadows had a 1 mile (1.6 km) dirt oval and a seven furlong [0.875 miles (1.408 km)] turf oval. The track had a total seating capacity of 12,000 and had stabling for 900 horses on site.
Former TV Personalites
- Sam Spear (1978-2008)
Bay Meadows had the following graded stakes events:
- Grade 3 Bay Meadows Derby
- Grade 3 El Camino Real Derby
- Grade 3 Seabiscuit Handicap
And the following important ungraded events.
- Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint Handicap
- California Oaks, called Bay Meadows Oaks
- ↑ http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/22/SPGE8OQ4383.DTL Bay Meadows is photo finished, will close in November Retrieved on March 22, 2007.
- ↑ http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/03/SPGRFQQ80S7.DTL Bay Meadows reprieve: Open through 2008 Track can run races in '08 on old surface July 3, 2007, Retrieved on August 19, 2007
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Roman, Tomas (2008-05-11). "Bay Meadows race track closes down". ABC 7 News. http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local&id=6136106. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- ↑ http://smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=107801&eddate=03/27/2009 Developer should clean up its mess Retrieved on April 5, 2009.