Bengough Memorial Stakes
|Group 3 race|
|Bengough Memorial Stakes|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||6f (1,207 metres)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old and up|
|Weight||9 st 0 lb (3yo);|
9 st 1 lb (4yo+)
3 lb for fillies and mares
8 lb for Group 1 winners *
6 lb for Group 2 winners *
4 lb for Group 3 winners *
* since February 28
The Bengough Memorial Stakes is a Group 3 flat horse race in Great Britain which is open to thoroughbreds aged three years or older. It is run at Ascot over a distance of 6 furlongs (1,207 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in October.
The event was formerly held at Newmarket, and it used to be called the Bentinck Stakes. It was named in honour of Lord George Bentinck (1802–1848), who was a successful racehorse owner. For a period the race was contested over 5 furlongs, and it was classed at Listed level. It was extended to 6 furlongs in 1993, and promoted to Group 3 status in 2003.
The race was transferred to Ascot in 2008, and at the same time it was given a new title, the Bengough Memorial Stakes. This was in memory of Sir Piers Bengough (1929–2005), who served as Her Majesty's Representative at Ascot from 1984 to 1997.
Most successful horse since 1987:
- no horse has won this race more than once since 1987
Leading jockey since 1987 (2 wins):
- Michael Roberts – Umbelata (1988), On Tiptoes (1991)
- Willie Carson – Ra'A (1990), Hamas (1992)
- John Reid – Montendre (1993), Royale Figurine (1995)
- Darryll Holland – Gaelic Storm (1999), Welsh Emperor (2005)
- Seb Sanders – Danehurst (2001), Needwood Blade (2002)
- Ted Durcan – Royal Millennium (2004), Greek Renaissance (2007)
Leading trainer since 1987 (3 wins):
- Saeed bin Suroor – Russian Revival (1996), Bygone Days (2006), Greek Renaissance (2007)
Winners since 1987
|1987||Perion||5||Pat Eddery||Geoff Lewis||1:02.96|
|1988||Umbelata||5||Michael Roberts||Mick Naughton||1:00.90|
|1989||Lugana Beach||3||Steve Cauthen||David Elsworth||0:59.45|
|1990||Ra'A||3||Willie Carson||Harry Thomson Jones||1:00.20|
|1991||On Tiptoes||3||Michael Roberts||Jimmy Leigh||0:58.64|
|1992||Hamas||3||Willie Carson||Peter Walwyn||0:58.22|
|1993||Montendre||6||John Reid||Matt McCormack||1:13.32|
|1994||Elrafa Ah||3||Richard Hills||Harry Thomson Jones||1:11.80|
|1995||Royale Figurine||4||John Reid||Martin Fetherston-Godley||1:11.53|
|1996||Russian Revival||3||Walter Swinburn||Saeed bin Suroor||1:11.38|
|1997||My Best Valentine||7||Ray Cochrane||Vic Soane||1:14.81|
|1998||Bold Edge||3||Dane O'Neill||Richard Hannon||1:11.52|
|1999||Gaelic Storm||5||Darryll Holland||Mark Johnston||1:13.60|
|2000||Bahamian Pirate||5||Adrian Nicholls||David Nicholls||1:13.63|
|2001||Danehurst||3||Seb Sanders||Sir Mark Prescott||1:14.97|
|2002||Needwood Blade||4||Seb Sanders||Bryan McMahon||1:11.20|
|2003||Ashdown Express||4||Richard Mullen||Chris Wall||1:13.18|
|2004||Royal Millennium||6||Ted Durcan||Mick Channon||1:13.71|
|2005||Welsh Emperor||6||Darryll Holland||Tom Tate||1:13.06|
|2006||Bygone Days||5||Frankie Dettori||Saeed bin Suroor||1:12.89|
|2007||Greek Renaissance||4||Ted Durcan||Saeed bin Suroor||1:12.21|
|2008||Conquest||4||Jimmy Fortune||William Haggas||1:14.74|
|2009||Royal Rock||5||George Baker||Chris Wall||1:14.99|
- galopp-sieger.de – Bengough Memorial Stakes.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Bengough Memorial Stakes (2009).
- pedigreequery.com – Bentinck Stakes – Newmarket.
- pedigreequery.com – Bengough Memorial Stakes – Ascot.