Black Easter Bunny
|Black Easter Bunny|
<tr><th>Maternal grandsire:</th><td>Chicaro BIll</td></tr>
|Breeder:||Walter J. Culbertson|
|Owner:||Walter J. Culbertson|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
Black Easter Bunny foaled in 1949 and was a black Quarter Horse mare. She was sired by Hysition, a Thoroughbred stallion, and her dam was a Quarter Horse mare named Flicka. Her dam traced back to Chicaro, a Thoroughbred, as well as tracing three times to Little Joe, a son of Traveler.
On the track, Black Easter Bunny started 111 times, placing first in twenty-one of those races. She placed second twenty-two times and came in third thirteen times. She earned an AAA speed rating, and a total of $40,228.00 in purses and 136 AQHA racing points. In 1952 she was named Champion Quarter Running Three Year Old Mare.
In 1956, her then owner Walt Culbertson decided to retire from racing, and sold Black Easter Bunny to Mr. and Mrs. Spencer Childers of Fresno, California. Spencer Childers told Nelson C. Nye that when Black Easter Bunny came up for sale, Childers "offered his wife the choice of a new mink coat or Black Easter Bunny for Christmas. She did not hesitate a moment." After retiring from racing, she produced five foals. All five started races, were winners, and earned their Race Register of Merits. Four were rated AAA, and the fifth was rated AAAT. In total, her five offspring earned $122,969.00 on the racetrack. Her daughter Bunny's Bar Maid was second in the 1961 All American Futurity as well as winning the Kansas Futurity.
|Epine Blanche (TB)|
|Ruddy Light (TB)|
|Washoe Belle (TB)|
|Black Easter Bunny|
- ↑ Nye Great Moments in Quarter Horse Racing History p. 104-106
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Wagoner Quarter Racing Digest p. 115
- ↑ Black Easter Bunny Pedigree at All Breed Pedigree retrieved on July 1, 2007
- ↑ Nye The Complete Book of the Quarter Horse p. 346-347
- ↑ Nye The Complete Book of the Quarter Horse p. 347-348
- ↑ American Quarter Horse Association "AQHA Hall of Fame"
- ↑ American Quarter Horse Foundation "Black Easter Bunny"
- All Breed Pedigree Database Pedigree of Black Easter Bunny retrieved on July 1, 2007
- American Quarter Horse Foundation. "Black Easter Bunny" (pdf). American Quarter Horse Foundation. http://www.aqha.com/foundation/halloffame/images/Black%20Easter%20Bunny.pdf. Retrieved February 3, 2007.
- American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA). "AQHA Hall of Fame". American Quarter Horse Association. http://www.aqha.com/foundation/halloffame/halloffamebios.html. Retrieved February 3, 2008.
- Nye, Nelson C. (1964). The Complete Book of the Quarter Horse: A Breeder's Guide and Turfman's Reference. New York: A. S. Barnes and Co..
- Nye, Nelson C. (1983). Great Moments in Quarter Racing History. New York: Arco Publishing. ISBN 0-668-05304-6.
- Wagoner, Dan (1976). Quarter Racing Digest: 1940 to 1976. Grapevine, TX: Equine Research.