Black Gold Stakes
The Black Gold Stakes is named for Black Gold who won the 1924 Louisiana Derby as well as that year's Kentucky Derby, one of only two horses ever to do so. Black Gold was buried in the Fairgrounds infield near Pan Zareta, one of the great racing mares. It is now a tradition for the winning jockey of the Black Gold to place a wreath of flowers on Black Gold's grave.
- 2010 - Royal Express (James Graham)
- 2009 - Turfiste (Jamie Theriot)
- 2008 - Amazing Results (Julien Leparoux)
- 2007 - Probation Ready (Robby Albarado)
- 2006 - Kingsfield (Run at Louisiana Downs due to Hurricane Katrina)
- 2005 - Straw Hat
- 2004 - Shiloh Bound
- 2003 - Prince Alphie (Shane Sellers)
- 2002 - Private Emblem
- 2001 - Rahy's Secret
There is also a Black Gold Stakes held at Sam Houston Race Park run each year in December and a Black Gold Handicap held at the Fair Grounds. The winner of the 2006 Sam Houston Black Gold was Cab (Jose Figueroa up), for a purse of $25,000.