Bowie Race Track
The Bowie Race Track was a horse racing track located in Bowie, Maryland. Opened October 1, 1914 by the Southern Maryland Agricultural Society, the racetrack was a major attraction in the area, serving the now defunct WB&A Railroad that drew passengers from New York, Philadelphia and points along the way.
In the 1950s, Bowie Race Track was a pioneer of winter racing in the Northeastern United States. Some of the races inaugurated at the Bowie track include:
During the night of January 31, 1966 a fire burned down five barns at the track that took the lives of at least 43 horses. 
Competition from new racing operations such as Keystone Racetrack in Bensalem, Pennsylvania ultimately led to the demise of the Bowie Race Track which ceased racing operations on July 14, 1985. The track now serves as a training center for Thoroughbred racehorses.
- ↑ [http://www.cityofbowie.org/news/newsletters/mayjune02.pdf "34th Annual Bowie Heritage Day on May 19th Celebrates Grand Opening of the Newly Restored Belair Stable Museum, Cradle of American Thoroughbred Racing"] (PDF), Bowie Spotlight (City of Bowie): 1,2, May-June 2002, http://www.cityofbowie.org/news/newsletters/mayjune02.pdf
|32px 30px||This article about a building or structure in Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|