Bukit Timah Race Course
The Bukit Timah Race Course was a venue for Thoroughbred horse racing in the Bukit Timah area of Singapore. Built by the Bukit Timah Turf Club, it was opened on April 15, 1933 by the Sir Cecil Clementi, Governor of Singapore. There was no racing from 1941 through 1946 as a result of World War II.
During its sixty-six years, Bukit Timah Race Course was visited by numerous Singapore and foreign dignitaries including a 1972 visit by racing fan a Thoroughbred owner, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip and Princess Anne. In honor of her visit, the Queen Elizabeth II Cup was established.
In 1959 the Singapore Derby was revived at Bukit Timah Race Course and was the feature race on its final day of operation on July 25, 1999. Closed to make way for the new Kranji Racecourse, real estate developers used the site to construct the Turf City shopping complex.