|Grade 1 race|
|Race type||National Hunt flat race|
|Distance||2m ½f (3,319 metres)|
|Qualification||Four to six years old|
|Weight||10 st 12 lb (4yo);|
11 st 5 lb (5–6yo)
7 lb for fillies and mares
The Champion Bumper is a Grade 1 National Hunt flat race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four to six years. It is run on the Old Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 2 miles and 110 yards (3,319 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The event was established in 1992, and it was initially called the Festival Bumper. In its early years it had various different sponsors, including the Tote and Guinness. A more sustained period of sponsorship began when Weatherbys began supporting the race in 1997, and since then it has been known by its present title.
The Champion Bumper is the most prestigious flat race, or "bumper", in the National Hunt calendar. It often features horses which go on to become leading performers over obstacles, such as Florida Pearl and Dunguib.
Leading jockey (2 wins):
- Richard Dunwoody – Montelado (1992), Florida Pearl (1997)
- Paul Carberry – Rhythm Section (1993), Hairy Molly (2006)
- Charlie Swan – Mucklemeg (1994), Joe Cullen (2000)
Leading trainer (6 wins):
- Willie Mullins – Wither or Which (1996), Florida Pearl (1997), Alexander Banquet (1998), Joe Cullen (2000), Missed That (2005), Cousin Vinny (2008)
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
|1992||Montelado||5||Richard Dunwoody||Pat Flynn|
|1993||Rhythm Section||4||Paul Carberry||Homer Scott|
|1994||Mucklemeg||6||Charlie Swan||Edward O'Grady|
|1995||Dato Star||4||Mark Dwyer||Malcolm Jefferson|
|1996||Wither or Which||5||Mr Willie Mullins||Willie Mullins|
|1997||Florida Pearl||5||Richard Dunwoody||Willie Mullins|
|1998||Alexander Banquet||5||Mr Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|1999||Monsignor||5||Brendan Powell||Mark Pitman|
|2000||Joe Cullen||5||Charlie Swan||Willie Mullins|
|no race 2001 |
|2002||Pizarro||5||Jamie Spencer||Edward O'Grady|
|2003||Liberman||5||Tony McCoy||Martin Pipe|
|2004||Total Enjoyment||5||Jim Culloty||Tom Cooper|
|2005||Missed That||6||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2006||Hairy Molly||6||Paul Carberry||Joseph Crowley|
|2007||Cork All Star||5||Barry Geraghty||Jessica Harrington|
|2008||Cousin Vinny||5||Mr Patrick Mullins||Willie Mullins|
|2009||Dunguib||6||Mr Brian O'Connell||Philip Fenton|
|2010||Cue Card||4||Joe Tizzard||Colin Tizzard|
1 The 2001 running was cancelled because of a foot-and-mouth crisis.
- pedigreequery.com – Champion Bumper – Cheltenham.
- racenewsonline.co.uk – Racenews Archive (February 28, 2008).
- Recurring sporting events established in 1992 – this race is included under its original title, Festival Bumper.