Jump to: navigation, search

Chantilly Racecourse

Horse Racetrack

Chantilly Racecourse

Image:FranceGaloplogo.jpg
Location Chantilly, Oise, France
Owner Institut de France
Managed by France Galop
Opened May 15, 1834
Race type Thoroughbred - Flat racing
Website Chantilly Racecourse

Principal Races

Group One events:

Prix du Jockey Club - Inaugurated 1836

Prix de Diane - Inaugurated 1843

Prix Jean Prat - Inaugurated 1858

File:IMG 0933.JPG
Prix de Diane 2004, with the Château de Chantilly in the background

Chantilly Racecourse (In French: "Hippodrome de Chantilly") is a Thoroughbred turf racecourse for flat racing in Chantilly, Oise, France, about 50 kilometers (31 miles) north of the center of the city of Paris.

Chantilly Racecourse is located in in the country's main horse training area on 65 hectares next to the Chantilly Forest. A right-handed course, it was built with interlocking tracks. The main course is 2,400 meters long, with another at 2,150 meters, plus a round course adaptable from 1,400 to 2,400 meters.

The first race card at Chantilly was held on May 15, 1834 and its existing grandstand was built in 1879 by the famed architect Honore Daumet, who also did the renovations to the nearby Chateau de Chantilly. The racecourse was constructed abutting the existing Great Stables (French:Grandes Écuries), built in 1719 by estate owner, Louis Henri, Duc de Bourbon, Prince of Condé. Designed by the architect Jean Aubert, the mammoth 186-meter-long stable is considered the most beautiful in the world. [1]

In 1886, the Duc d'Aumale donated the racecourse to the Institut de France. In 1982, the Living Museum of the Horse was created as part of the stables which was opened to the public. In July 2006, the museum was acquired by the Foundation for the Safe-keeping and Development of the Chantilly Domain, presided over by His Highness, the Aga Khan IV.

During the first week of June, the racecourse hosts the Prix du Jockey Club, the third of the French racing season's five Classic Races.

It was used as the venue for the racecourse scene in the 1985 James Bond film A View to a Kill, in which racehorses owned by villainous industrialist Max Zorin (Christopher Walken) competed. [2]

External links

Coordinates: Template:Coord/input/dms



Share

Premier Equine Classifieds

Subscribe

Subscribe to our newsletter and keep abreast of the latest news, articles and information delivered directly to your inbox.

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...


The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...


Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...


That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...