The Commonwealth Stakes is a race for Thoroughbred horses run at Keeneland in Lexington, Kentucky each year. The race is open to horses age three and up willing to race seven furlongs on the polytrack.
A Grade II event, it offers a purse of $250,000. $150,000 is provided by Keeneland and $100,000 comes from the Breeders' Cup. The Commonwealth is one of three races at Keeneland that derives a portion of its purse from the Breeders' Cup.
In its 21st running in 2007, horses nominated to the Breeders' Cup compete for the full purse in this race. Horses not nominated compete only for the purse provided by Keeneland.
The fastest time at current distance: 1:20 2/5, run in 1998 by Distorted Humor.
- 2010 - Together Indy (Kent Desormeaux (Congressional Page placed, Imperial Council third.)
- 2009 - Eternal Star (Eibar Coa)
- 2008 - Rebellion (Edgar Prado) (Elite Squadron placed)
- 2007 - Silent Name (Corey Nakatani) (Lewis Michael placed, Steel Light third)
- 2006 - Sun King (Corey Nakatani) (Kazoo, placed, Spanish Chestnut third)
- 2005 - Clock Stopper (Jerry Bailey) (Gators N Bears placed, Silver Wagon third.)
- 2004 - Lion Tamer* (Mike E. Smith) (Private Horde placed, Marino Marini third.)
- 2003 - Smooth Jazz (Edgar Prado) (Crafty C.T. placed, Multiple Choice third.)
- 2002 - Orientate (Pat Day) (Aldebaran placed, Twilight Road third.)
- 2001 - Alannan (Edgar Prado) (Valiant Halory placed, Liberty Gold third.)
- 2000 - Richter Scale (Richard Migliore) (Son's Corona placed, Deep Gold third.)
- 1999 - Good and Tough* (Shane Sellers) (Purple Passion placed, Crucible third.)
- 1997 - Victor Cooley (Eddie Martin, Jr.) (Western Winter placed, Appealing Skier third.)
- 1996 - Afternoon Deelites (Kent Desormeaux) (Western Winter placed, Our Emblem third.
- 1995 - Golden Gear (Craig Perret) (Turkomatic placed, Lit de Justice third.)
- 1994 - Memo* (CHI) (Paul Atkinson) (American Chance placed, British Banker third.)
- 1993 - Alydeed (Craig Perret) (Binalong placed, Senor Speedy third.)
- 1990 - Black Tie Affair (Ire) (Mark Guidry) (Shaker Knit placed, Momsfurrari third.)
- 1989 - Sewickley (Randy Romero) (Irish Open placed, Dancing Spree third.)
- 1988 - Calestoga (Don Brumfield) (You're No Bargain placed, Carload third.)
- 1987 - Exclusive Enough (Mike E. Smith) (f-Lazer Show placed, High Brite third.)