Critérium International (horse race)
|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1,600 metres (1 mile)|
1½ kg for fillies
1st: 57.14%, 2nd: 22.86%
3rd: 11.43%, 4th: 5.71%
The Critérium International is a Group 1 flat horse race in France which is open to two-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies. It is run at Saint-Cloud over a distance of 1,600 metres (about 1 mile), and it is scheduled to take place each year in late October or early November.
The event was introduced in 2001 as part of a restructured program for juveniles in France. Other changes included the scrapping of the Prix de la Salamandre, and the shortening of the Grand Critérium (later retitled the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère).
The new race adopted the title of an event which was held annually at Longchamp from 1893 to 1910. The original Critérium International was also for two-year-olds, and it was contested on a straight track over 1,100 metres. The prize money for first place was 25,000 francs (equivalent to €78,500). Winners included Perth (1898), Semendria (1899), Gouvernant (1903), Jardy (1904), Azalee (1908) and Marsa (1909).
The present Critérium International has usually featured horses which ran previously in the Prix des Chênes or the Prix Thomas Bryon. Two winners — Dalakhani and Bago — subsequently won the most prestigious horse race in France, the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.
Leading jockey (2 wins):
- Thierry Gillet – Act One (2001), Bago (2003)
- Christophe Soumillon – Dalakhani (2002), Carlotamix (2005)
Leading trainer (2 wins):
- Jonathan Pease – Act One (2001), Bago (2003)
- André Fabre – Carlotamix (2005), Thewayyouare (2007)
- Aidan O'Brien – Mount Nelson (2006), Jan Vermeer (2009)
Leading owner (2 wins):
- HH Aga Khan IV – Dalakhani (2002), Carlotamix (2005)
|2001||Act One||Thierry Gillet||Jonathan Pease||Gerald Leigh||1:47.1|
|2002||Dalakhani||Christophe Soumillon||Alain de Royer-Dupré||HH Aga Khan IV||1:52.0|
|2003||Bago||Thierry Gillet||Jonathan Pease||Niarchos Family||1:47.0|
|2004||Helios Quercus||Alexandre Roussel||Cyriaque Diard||Thierry Maudet||1:45.3|
|2005||Carlotamix||Christophe Soumillon||André Fabre||HH Aga Khan IV||1:45.4|
|2006||Mount Nelson||Seamus Heffernan||Aidan O'Brien||Smith / Tabor / Magnier||1:41.3|
|2007||Thewayyouare||Stéphane Pasquier||André Fabre||Sean Mulryan||1:45.3|
|2008||Zafisio||Dominique Boeuf||Paul Blockley||Hugh Downs||1:46.1|
|2009||Jan Vermeer||Colm O'Donoghue||Aidan O'Brien||Tabor / Smith / Magnier||1:45.6|
- france-galop.com – A Brief History: Critérium International.
- galop.courses-france.com – Critérium International – Palmarès depuis 2001.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Critérium International (2009).
- pedigreequery.com – Critérium International – Saint-Cloud.