Depth Charge (horse)
|Breeder||John D. Hertz|
|Depth Charge is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Quickly by Bold Venture. He was born around 1941 in the United States, and was bred by John D. Hertz.|
|3rd Myles Standish Stakes|
|AQHA Hall of Fame|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
|Last updated on February 3, 2008|
Depth Charge was a registered Thoroughbred son of Bold Venture. His dam was a mare named Quickly, a descendant of The Tetrarch and *Rock Sand. Depth Charge was bred by John D. Hertz. Quickly was also the dam of Count Fleet, a U. S. Triple Crown winner. Depth Charge was a year younger than his famous half brother.
He raced on the Thoroughbred tracks, piling up a record of five wins, three seconds and two thirds from sixteen starts. His total earnings were $5943.00, including a third place finish in the Myles Standish Stakes. He died at Shamrock, Texas in 1965.
He sired 174 Thoroughbred foals, with 149 starters and 121 winners. He also sired 220 Quarter Horse foals, with 80 of them earning their AQHA Race Register of Merits. Among his offspring were the Quarter Horse racehorses Johnny Dial, Super Charge, Tiny Charger, Dividend, and Miss Queenie. He also sired Thoroughbred stakes winners including Dark Charger, Free Stride, Queen Margie and Baloma. His highest race earning Quarter Horse foal was Three Deep, who earned $35,258.00.
|=Maid of the Mist|
|*Stefan the Great|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Simmons Legends: Outstanding Quarter Horse Stallions and Mares p. 125
- ↑ Depth Charge Pedigree at All Breed Pedigree retrieved on June 22, 2007
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 American Quarter Horse Foundation "Depth Charge"
- ↑ Hogan Index to Stakes Winners Volume 2 p. 410
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Bloodstock Research & Statistical Bureau Sires of American Stakes Horses p. 284
- ↑ Pitzer The Most Influential Quarter Horse Sires pp. 26–27
- ↑ Wagoner Quarter Racing Digest pp. 288–290
- ↑ American Quarter Horse Association "AQHA Hall of Fame"
- All Breed Pedigree Database Pedigree of Depth Charge retrieved on June 22, 2007
- American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA). "AQHA Hall of Fame". American Quarter Horse Association. http://www.aqha.com/foundation/halloffame/halloffamebios.html. Retrieved February 3, 2008.
- American Quarter Horse Foundation. "Depth Charge" (pdf). http://www.aqha.com/foundation/halloffame/images/Depth%20Charge.pdf. Retrieved February 3, 2008.
- Bloodstock Research & Statistical Bureau (1975). Sires of American Stakes Horses 1926–1975. Lexington, KY: Bloodstock Research & Statistical Bureau.
- Hogan, Clio D. (no date). Index to Stakes Winners 1865–1967. Solvang, CA: Flag Is Up Farms.
- Pitzer, Andrea Laycock (1987). The Most Influential Quarter Horse Sires. Tacoma, WA: Premier Pedigrees.
- Close, Pat; Simmons, Diane (editors) (1993). Legends: Outstanding Quarter Horse Stallions and Mares. Colorado Springs, CO: Western Horseman. ISBN 0-911647-26-0.
- Wagoner, Dan (1976). Quarter Racing Digest: 1940 to 1976. Grapevine, TX: Equine Research.