Eight Carat (GB) (bl. 1975) Pieces of Eight (IRE) - Klairessa, by Klairon) was a Thoroughbred broodmare in Australasia. She is without doubt the best broodmare to have ever been in Australasia being the dam of five individual Group One winners, including Octagonal, Mouawad, Kaapstad, Diamond Lover and (Our) Marquise who had 28 stakeswins between them.
Her influence now extends to several generations and includes her daughters:
- Cotehele House ((br. or bl. 1980) by. My Swanee - Eight Carat: dam of Danewin (b. 1991) winner of 5 Group 1 races and Champion 3YO of his year and Commands the winner of a Group 3 race.
Both Danewin and Commands are now at stud in Australia's Hunter Valley. Both have been successful siring Group 1 winners, including (Danewin): Elegant Fashion, Vitesse Dane, County Tyrone, Excites and Toulouse Lautrec; and (Commands): Undue and Paratroopers.
Cotehele House is the grand dam of Emerald Dream (Group 1 winner); Special Bond (Listed winner) and Taimana (Group 2 winner). She is also the great grand dam of Impaler (2x Group 2 winner) and Listen Here (Listed winner).
- Our Diamond Lover ((br. 1982) by. Sticks And Stones - Eight Carat: dam of Tristalove winner of 2 Group 1 races and Champion Race filly; Don Eduardo winner of the Group 1 AJC Derby; Peruzzi multiple Group winner and Antwerp multiple Listed winner.
Our Diamond Lover is the grand dam of Viscount (Multiple Group 1 winner and Champion 2YO); Helsinborg (Listed winner); Viking Ruler (Group 1 winner); Kempinsky (Group 2 winner); and Diamond Like (Listed winner). She is also the great grand dam of Lucida (Listed winner). Lastly, she is the great-grand dam of De Beers (Group 1 winner).
- La Brillante ((b. 1986)) by. Sir Tristram - Eight Carat: dam of Philidor, Listed winner.
- Nine Carat ((b. 1989) by. Sir Tristram - Eight Carat: dam of Court of Jewels, Listed winner.
- Our Marquise ((b. 1991)) by. Gold And Ivory - Eight Carat: dam of Shower of Roses, Group 1 winner.
Eight Carat's sons: Octagonal, Kaapstad, Colombia and Mouawad have all stood at stud. Octagonal is currently standing at Woodlands Stud, and will be best remembered as the sire of the two brothers: Niello and world champion miler of 2004, Lonhro (now also at stud at Woodlands). Kaapstad stood at Windsor Park Stud in New Zealand and was a leading sire and broodmare sire until his death on 9 May 2007. At stud Kaapstad sired 40 individual stakes winners. Colombia is currently standing in New Zealand at Newmarket Lodge. Mouawad stood one season in Australia at Glenlogan Park Stud in QLD, however due to fertility problems, he was re-sold again at public auction for AUD$525,000 to the former Domeland Syndicate and shipped to China. Unfortunately his whereabouts are unknown due to the collapse of the Chinese racing industry in late 2005.
Eight Carat won the New Zealand Broodmare of the Year a record-equalling three times from 1995 to 1997 due to the deeds of Octagonal and Mouawad.