Floral Park Handicap
The Floral Park Handicap is an American Thoroughbred horse race run at Belmont Park on Long Island, New York in its fall meet. Established for fillies and mares, age three and up, it's a sprint, meaning a flat out, full throttle dash, set at 6 furlongs on the dirt and offers a purse of $100,000 added.
The Floral is a prep for the Breeders' Cup Sprint.
The year 2007 saw the 13th running of the Floral Park which is named for Floral Park, New York, the site of a very early race track, one of America's first horse running courses. In those days races were not run on ovals; they were run in heats over hill and dale, usually four in number, and were exhausting affairs.
In December 2006, the New York Racing Association (NYRA) announced the elimination of this race beginning in 2007 due to its poor placement on the Breeder's Cup Sprint run-up schedule.
On September 27, 2007, NYRA scheduled the Floral Park Handicap as the Floral Park Stakes, with minor modifications. The race conditions were changed; it was run at seven furlongs, changed from six furlongs in previous editions, and was restricted to New York-bred fillies and mares. The winner of this particular race in 2007 was Ice Cool Kitty.
In 2008, the Floral Park Stakes (or Floral Park Handicap) was run at 1 mile or 8 furlongs.
- 2008 - Wishful Tomcat (Big Truck placed.)
- 2007 - Ice Cool Kitty (2007 edition named Floral Park Stakes, run at seven furlongs and restricted to New York-bred fillies and mares)
- 2006 - Win McCool
- 2005 - Smokey Glacken
- 2004 - Feline Story
- 2003 - Bauhauser (ARG)
- 2002 - Carson Hollow
- 2001 - Gold Mover
- 2000 - Big Bambu
- 1999 - Positive Gal
- 1998 - Blue Begonia
- 1997 - Creamy Dreamy
- 1996 - Lottsa Talc
- 1995 - Twist Afleet
- ↑ Ice Cool Kitty purrs in Belmont's Floral Park Stakes - USATODAY.com
- ↑ Win McCool surprises in Floral Park - Thoroughbred Times
- ↑ Pacesetter Smokey Glacken clearly best in Floral Park - Thoroughbred Times
- ↑ Well-Timed Kick Tells the Tale for Feline Story | bloodhorse.com
- ↑ Shine Again dims as Bauhauser sparkles in Floral Park - Thoroughbred Times
- ↑ Carson Hollow dominates Floral Park - Thoroughbred Times
- ↑ PLUS: HORSE RACING; Point Given to Stand in Bluegrass Country - New York Times
- ↑ HORSE RACING; Fantastic Light Turns It on in Man o'War - New York Times
- ↑ HORSE RACING; Celebrity Horses Taking Center Stage at Belmont - New York Times