Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Chase
|Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Chase|
|Distance||3m 7f (6,236 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
The Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Chase is a National Hunt chase in Great Britain which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run on the Cross-Country Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 3 miles and 7 furlongs (6,236 metres), and during its running there are thirty-two obstacles to be cleared. It is a handicap race, and it is scheduled to take place each year on the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The event was established when a fourth day was added to the Cheltenham Festival in 2005. It is now one of three cross-country chases held at Cheltenham – the others take place in November and December. All three were originally sponsored by Sporting Index, and in the 2007–08 season they were backed by BGC. The whisky distillery Glenfarclas began supporting the series in 2008–09.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Garde Champetre – 2008, 2009
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Nina Carberry – Heads Onthe Ground (2007), Garde Champetre (2008, 2009)
Leading trainer (4 wins):
- Enda Bolger – Spot Thedifference (2005), Heads Onthe Ground (2007), Garde Champetre (2008, 2009)
- Weights given in stones and pounds; Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr", "Miss" etc.
|2005||Spot Thedifference||12||11-12||Mr J. T. McNamara||Enda Bolger|
|2006||Native Jack||12||10-08||Davy Russell||Philip Rothwell|
|2007||Heads Onthe Ground||10||10-02||Miss Nina Carberry||Enda Bolger|
|2008||Garde Champetre||9||10-13||Miss Nina Carberry||Enda Bolger|
|2009||Garde Champetre||10||11-12||Miss Nina Carberry||Enda Bolger|
|2010||A New Story||12||09-07||Adrian Heskin||Michael Hourigan|
- pedigreequery.com – Cross Country Chase – Cheltenham.
- racenewsonline.co.uk – Racenews Archive (February 21, 2008).
- Glenfarclas Single Malt
- Recurring sporting events established in 2005 – included under its original title, Sporting Index Cross Country H'cap Chase.