|Damsire||Val de Loir|
|Green Dancer is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Green Valley by Nijinsky. He was born around 1972 in the United States, and was bred by Germaine Wertheimer.|
French Classic Race wins:|
Poule d'Essai des Poulains (1975)
|Leading sire in France (1991)|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
Green Dancer (April 14, 1972 - December 5, 2000) was a French Thoroughbred racehorse. A son of the great English Triple Crown winner, Nijinsky, he was bred in Kentucky by Germaine Wertheimer of Paris, France who owned his dam, Green Valley.
Green Dancer was raced in France by Germaine Wertheimer's son, Jacques, and trained by Alec Head. Although a winner of a French Classic Race and two other Group One races in France and in England, Green Dancer is even better remembered as a Champion sire and a top level broodmare sire.
Retired to stud in France, in 1980 Green Dancer was sent to stand at Gainesway Farm near Lexington, Kentucky. He became the fourth leading sire in France in 1983 and 1984, and was that country's Champion sire in 1991. Green Dancers daughters produced seven Champions that earned Horse of the Year honors on eight occasions.
Due to declining health, Green Dancer was pensioned near the end of November, 2000 but had to be euthanized a short time later. He is buried in the Gainesway Farm cemetery next to Lyphard, another Champion sire owned by the Wertheimer family.
Green Dancer sired:
- Greinton (b.1981) - won on grass in France and set two track records on dirt at Hollywood Park Racetrack in the United States. Won Hollywood Gold Cup, Californian Stakes, and Santa Anita Handicap.
- Suave Dancer (b. 1988) - 1991 European Champion 3-Yr-Old Colt. Won Prix du Jockey Club, Irish Champion Stakes, Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe
- Rochester (b. 1996) - millionaire, multiple stakes winner in USA
- Eishin Preston (b. 1997) - Japanese Two-Year-Old Champion, won Hong Kong Mile and the Queen Elizabeth II Cup twice
Green Dancer was the damsire of:
- Sandpit (b. 1989) - Brazilian 1993 Champion 3-year-old. Won four Grade I races in Brazil and four Grade I's in the United States
- Halling (b. 1991) - 1996 European Champion Older Horse. Won Eclipse Stakes (twice), International Stakes (twice), Prix d'Ispahan
- Peaks and Valleys (b. 1992) - 1995 Canadian Horse of the Year. Won Molson Export Million Stakes, Meadowlands Cup, Derby Trial Stakes
- Jeune - (b. 1995) Australian Horse of the Year. Won five Group One races
- Lonesome Glory (b. 1988) - American American Hall of Fame steeplechase champion who was American Steeplechase Horse of the Year 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999.
- Kalanisi (b. 1996) - 2000 American Champion Male Turf Horse. Won Breeders' Cup Turf, Queen Anne Stakes, Champion Stakes
- Black Minnaloushe (b. 1998) - Champion Three-Year-Old Colt in Ireland. Won Irish 2000 Guineas, St. James's Palace Stakes.