|Color||Bay with white blaze|
|Breeder||Mrs. A.K.H. Ooi|
|Owner||Highclere Thoroughbred Racing (Adm. Rous)|
|Trainer||Sir Michael Stoute|
|Harbinger is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Penang Pearl by Dansili. He was born around 2006 in Great Britain, and was bred by Mrs. A.K.H. Ooi.|
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2010)|
Gordon Stakes (2009)
John Porter Stakes (2010)
Ormonde Stakes (2010)
Hardwicke Stakes (2010)
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
|Last updated on 25 July 2010|
Harbinger (foaled 12 March 2006) is a retired thoroughbred racehorse trained by Sir Michael Stoute. He won the 2010 King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes in a track record time, and beat the previous race record set by Grundy in 1975, albeit at the old Ascot track.
He was sold at yearling auction for 180,000 guineas. His first season of racing was as a three year-old in 2009, where he won two of his five starts including the Gordon Stakes at Goodwood. He returned as a four year-old with a win in the John Porter Stakes, which was followed by wins in the Ormonde Stakes and Hardwicke Stakes.
Those performances saw him start second favourite in the King George behind Epsom Derby winner Workforce. However, Harbinger proved to be far too good in the King George, winning by 11 lengths over a field which also included Irish Derby winner Cape Blanco, triple Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe runner-up Youmzain and Hong Kong Vase winner Daryakana. He was then made a short-priced favourite for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe and officially rated the best flat horse in the world.
Before run Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, Harbinger prepare to ran International Stakes. Harbinger suffered a leg fracture while on the gallops at Sir Michael Stoutes yard. He was subsequently retired from racing.
- ↑ Will Hayler, Harbinger rated better than Sea The Stars by Timeform, guardian.co.uk, Sunday 25 July 2010
- ↑ "Harbinger lands impressive King George victory at Ascot". BBC Sport. 2010-07-24. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8836733.stm. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- ↑ Keogh, Frank. "World's top-rated horse Harbinger suffers fractured leg". BBC Sport. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8895742.stm. Retrieved 2010-08-09.
- ↑ Chris Cook, Harbinger, the world's top racehorse, suffers leg injury at Newmarket, guardian.co.uk, Saturday 7 August 2010
- ↑ "Injured Harbinger forced to retire from racing". BBC Sport. 2010-08-09. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8894577.stm. Retrieved 2010-08-09.