Jump to: navigation, search

Horse Corral

Corral or Pen
A pen is an enclosure for domestic animals. The most common types of pens are pigpens, horse paddocks, cattle pens, and sheep pens.

A large pen for horses is called a paddock (USA, UK) or a corral (Western USA), a borrowing from the Spanish language. A small pen for horses (no more than 15-20 feet on any side) is a stall if inside a barn or stable, or
simply a "pen" if it lacks any roof or shelter. The term paddock is sometimes used interchangeably with pasture in Australia.

A cattle pen is also sometimes called a corral.
In Australia and New Zealand a pen is a small enclosure for livestock (especially sheep or cattle), which is part of a larger construction, eg. calf pen, forcing pen (or yard) in sheep or cattle yards, or a sweating pen or catching pen in a shearing shed.

A sheep pen is also called a folding, sheepfold or sheepcote. Modern shepherds more commonly use terms such as closing or confinement pen for small sheep pens. Most structures today referred to as sheepfolds are ancient dry stone semicircles.  Constructions of pens vary, depending on purpose, animal type, and culture. Primitive pens in South Africa are called kraal.


Premier Equine Classifieds


Subscribe to our newsletter and keep abreast of the latest news, articles and information delivered directly to your inbox.

Did You Know?

Modern horse breeds developed in response to a need for "form to function", the necessity to develop certain physical characteristics in order to perform a certain type of work... More...

The Gypsy Cob was originally bred to be a wagon horse and pulled wagons or caravans known as Vardos; a type of covered wagon that people lived in... More...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the Arabian horse bloodline dates back 4,500 years. Throughout history, Arabian horses spread around the world by both war and trade.... More...

That the term "Sporthorse" is a term used to describe a type of horse rather than any particular breed... More...