International Polo Cup
The Newport Cup or International Polo Cup is a trophy in polo that was created in 1876.
The cup was first awarded to the team of Sir John Watson in 1876 in Newport, Rhode Island. The cup was later purchased by a subscription and presented to the Westchester Polo Club. The trophy was in the possession of the Hurlingham Club in England until 1909. In 1909 the team of Harry Payne Whitney brought the cup back to the United States for the Meadowbrook Polo Club.
- ↑ "Polo Cup Gift of Deed. August Belmont's Proposals Accepted by Hurlingham Club". New York Times. June 30, 1912. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NewportCup_1912June30.png. Retrieved 2009-11-24. "The Hurlingham Club of London has accepted the proposal of August Belmont for the International Polo Cup. The document covering all the details of the deed of gift was framed last year by Mr. Belmont after a consultation with the Hurlingham Club."
- ↑ "America Wins, Polo Cup Stays" (PDF). New York Times. June 14, 1913. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=2&res=9D05E4D6143FE633A25756C1A9609C946296D6CF. Retrieved 2009-11-24.