|Group 1 race|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||1m 2f 88y (2,092 m)|
|Qualification||Three-years-old and up|
|Weight||8 st 11 lb (3yo);|
9 st 5 lb (4yo+)
3 lb for fillies and mares
1 lb for S. Hemisphere 4yo
The International Stakes, also known as the "Juddmonte International", is a Group 1 flat horse race in Great Britain which is open to thoroughbreds aged three years or older. It is run at York over a distance of 1 mile, 2 furlongs and 88 yards (2,092 metres), and it is scheduled to take place each year in August.
The event was devised by Major Leslie Petch, a former Clerk of the Course at York. It was first run in 1972, but by this time Petch had resigned from his position due to ill health. The race was originally sponsored by Benson and Hedges, and for the early part of its history it was called the Benson and Hedges Gold Cup. The inaugural running was won by Roberto, that year's Derby winner. The second-placed horse was Brigadier Gerard – this was his only defeat in a career of eighteen races.
The sponsorship of Benson and Hedges continued until 1985, and for the following two years the race was backed by the bloodstock company Matchmaker. Its title during this period was the "Matchmaker International". The current sponsor, Juddmonte Farms, began supporting the event in 1989. It is now familiarly known as the "Juddmonte International".
The International Stakes is presently held on the opening day of York's four-day Ebor Festival meeting. It is the venue's richest race of the season.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Dahlia – 1974, 1975
- Ezzoud – 1993, 1994
- Halling – 1995, 1996
Leading jockey (5 wins):
- Lester Piggott – Dahlia (1974, 1975), Hawaiian Sound (1978), Commanche Run (1985), Rodrigo de Triano (1992)
- Frankie Dettori – Halling (1996), Singspiel (1997), Sakhee (2001), Sulamani (2004), Authorized (2007)
Leading trainer (5 wins):
- Sir Michael Stoute – Shardari (1986), Ezzoud (1993, 1994), Singspiel (1997), Notnowcato (2006)
Leading owner (4 wins):
- Robert Sangster – Hawaiian Sound (1978), Assert (1982), Caerleon (1983), Rodrigo de Triano (1992)
- Godolphin – Halling (1995, 1996), Sakhee (2001), Sulamani (2004)
- galopp-sieger.de – International Stakes (ex Benson & Hedges Gold Cup).
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – International Stakes (2009).
- pedigreequery.com – International Stakes – York.
- Recurring events established in 1972 – this race is included under its original title, Benson and Hedges Gold Cup.