Mark Johnson (announcer)
Skegness, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
|Residence||Twickenham, London, United Kingdom|
|Nationality||Flag of United Kingdom British|
|Alma mater||King Alfred's College, Winchester|
|Known for||Horse racing announcer|
|Parents||Derek and Joy Johnson|
Born in Skegness, Lincolnshire, Johnson attended King Alfred's College in Winchester, Hampshire and London College of Printing in Elephant and Castle, London receiving a bachelor's degree in television, film, and theatre studies, and a postgraduate diploma in radio journalism. His first race commentary was in 1986 at Tweseldown Racecourse in Fleet, Hampshire. In 1995, he called his first Classic, the St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster Racecourse in South Yorkshire, and as of May 2009, had announced eleven St. Legers, and five Epsom Derbies. He has also announced multiple Cheltenham Gold Cup and Grand National steeplechase races.
Following the unexpected death of announcer, Luke Kruytbosch, Johnson became the track announcer at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky in January 2009, calling his first Kentucky Derby later that year. He also does paddock commentary with Jill Byrne at Churchill Downs.
- Churchill Downs (January 15, 2009). "Britain's Mark Johnson Named Churchill Downs Track Announcer". Press release. http://www.churchilldowns.com/news/archives/britains-mark-johnson-named-churchill-downs-track-announcer. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
- Brown, C.L. (May 2, 2009). "Johnson will put a little English on it". Louisville, Kentucky: Courier Journal. http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090502/SPORTS08/905020328/1002/SPORTS/Johnson+will+put+a+little+English+on+it. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
- Hamilton, Keith (April 4, 2009). "Mark Johnson gearing up for the Grand National". Southampton, Hampshire: Daily Echo. http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/4267204.Voice_of_horse_racing_gearing_up_for_the_Grand_National/. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
- "Mark Johnson Biography". Churchill Downs. 2009. http://www.churchilldowns.com/node/3687. Retrieved May 2, 2009.
- Meet Mark Johnson (Churchill Downs)
|25px||This biographical article relating to a United Kingdom sportsperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|