Neptune Collonges after winning the 2006 WBX.com Rehearsal Chase on Fighting Fifth Hurdle Day.
|Breeder||Gaec Delorme Freres|
|Neptune Collonges is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Castille Collonges by Dom Alco. He was born around 2001 in France, and was bred by Gaec Delorme Freres.|
Hennessy Gold Cup (2008)|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
Neptune Collonges (foaled on April 25th, 2001 in France) is an French Thoroughbred racehorse, born to sire, Dom Alco and dam, Castille Collonges. He is owned by John Hales and is trained by Paul Nicholls. Throughout his time as a racehorse, his predominant jockey has been Ruby Walsh.
Neptune Collonges started racing as a three year old in December 2004 when he was entered into the Prix Raymond de Bouglon, finishing in first place out of 16 entries. His first notable win came in December of 2005 when he won the Winter Novices' Hurdle, a Grade 2 National Hunt race held at Sandown Park Racecourse in Esher, Surrey, England. His first win in a Grade 1 race came in March 2007 when he won the Punchestown Gold Cup at Punchestown Racecourse near Naas, County Kildare, in Ireland. In that race, he bested a field of 10 horses, holding off Kingscliff by 3.5 lengths.
Neptune Collonges went on to win two more Grade 1 races in his career. He defended his 2007 win in the Punchestown Gold Cup by following it with another in 2008 when he defeated Snowy Morning by 7 lengths. His other Grade 1 victory was in the 2008 Hennessy Gold Cup at Leopardstown Racecourse in Leopardstown, County Dublin where he outraced a field of 6 en route to victory.
At the 2009 Cheltenham Festival, Neptune Collonges was believed to have been injured while racing in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. The injury was serious enough to put him out for the remainder of the 2008-2009 season and the entire 2009-2010 season. Owner John Hales said of his prize horse's injury: We believe it happened in the race, but it didn’t show up until a few days after.
At the time of his injury, Neptune Collonges had amassed a career record of 14 wins, 2 places and 3 shows while accumulating £685,279in lifetime earnings. His 14 wins have come in just 26 races.
- ↑ Neptune Collonges, pedigreequery.com, accessed 30 April 2010.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Neptune Collonges, racingpost.com, accessed 30 April 2010
- ↑ Racing: Lacdoudal books tilt at big prize, walesonline.co.uk, 3 December 2005, accessed 1 May 2005.
- ↑ Neptune Triumphs at Punchestown, news.bbc.co.uk, 25 April 2007, accessed 1 May 2010.
- ↑ Punchestown Preview – Day 2, rte.ie, 20 April 2010, accessed 1 May 2010.
- ↑ Neptune retains Gold Cup feature, rte.ie, 23 April 2008, accessed 1 May 2010.
- ↑ Paul Nicholls strikes gold with Neptune Collonges, telegraph.co.uk, 15 February 2009, accessed 1 May 2010.
- ↑ Horse racing: Injured Neptune Collonges out for year, walesonline.co.uk, 20 March 2009, accessed 1 May 2010.