Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle
|Grade 1 race|
|Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle|
|Race type||Hurdle race|
|Sponsor||Neptune Investment Management|
|Distance||2m 5f (4,225 metres)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
|Weight||10 st 13 lb (4yo);|
11 st 7 lb (5yo+)
7 lb for fillies and mares
The Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle is a Grade 1 National Hunt hurdle race in Great Britain which is open to horses aged four years or older. It is run on the Old Course at Cheltenham over a distance of about 2 miles and 5 furlongs (4,225 metres), and during its running there are ten hurdles to be jumped. The race is for novice hurdlers, and it is scheduled to take place each year during the Cheltenham Festival in March.
The event was established in 1971, and it was initially called the Aldsworth Hurdle. The insurance company Sun Alliance (later Royal & SunAlliance) began sponsoring the race in 1974, and it became known as the Sun Alliance Novices' Hurdle. This association continued until 2006, and for the following three years the event was backed by Ballymore Properties.
There were high winds on the day of the planned running in 2008, so the Ballymore Properties Novices' Hurdle was rescheduled and run on Cheltenham's New Course. A new sponsor, Neptune Investment Management, began supporting the race in 2010.
The registered (non-sponsored) title of the race is now the Baring Bingham Novices' Hurdle. This is in honour of Baring Bingham, a developer who purchased Prestbury Park in 1898, and organised the first Cheltenham Festival in 1902.
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Charlie Swan – Danoli (1994), Urubande (1996), Istabraq (1997)
Leading trainer (2 wins):
- Mick O'Toole – Davy Lad (1975), Parkhill (1976)
- Edward O'Grady – Drumlargan (1980), Mister Donovan (1982)
- Oliver Sherwood – The West Awake (1987), Rebel Song (1988)
- Martin Pipe – Sayfar's Lad (1989), Regal Ambition (1990)
- David Nicholson – Thetford Forest (1992), Putty Road (1995)
- Nigel Twiston-Davies – Gaelstrom (1993), Fundamentalist (2004)
- Aidan O'Brien – Urubande (1996), Istabraq (1997)
- Willie Mullins – Fiveforthree (2008), Mikael d'Haguenet (2009)
- Amateur jockeys indicated by "Mr".
|1971||Midsprite||5||Macer Gifford||Harry Thomson Jones|
|1972||Even Dawn||5||Ron Hyett||Katie Gaze|
|1973||Willie Wumpkins||5||Pat Colville||Adrian Maxwell|
|1974||Brown Lad||8||Ron Barry||Paddy Osborne|
|1975||Davy Lad||5||Dessie Hughes||Mick O'Toole|
|1976||Parkhill||5||Dessie Hughes||Mick O'Toole|
|1977||Counsel Cottage||6||Sean Treacy||Paddy Mullins|
|1978||Mr Kildare||5||Tommy Carmody||Liam Browne|
|1979||Venture to Cognac||6||Mr Oliver Sherwood||Fred Winter|
|1980||Drumlargan||6||Tommy Ryan||Edward O'Grady|
|1981||Gaye Chance||6||Sam Morshead||Fred Rimell|
|1982||Mister Donovan||6||Tommy Ryan||Edward O'Grady|
|1983||Sabin du Loir||4||Graham Bradley||Michael Dickinson|
|1984||Fealty||4||Seamus O'Neill||Peter Brookshaw|
|1985||Asir||5||Mr Ronnie Beggan||Paul Kelleway|
|1986||Ten Plus||6||Kevin Mooney||Fulke Walwyn|
|1987||The West Awake||6||Simon Sherwood||Oliver Sherwood|
|1988||Rebel Song||6||Simon Sherwood||Oliver Sherwood|
|1989||Sayfar's Lad||5||Mark Perrett||Martin Pipe|
|1990||Regal Ambition||6||Peter Scudamore||Martin Pipe|
|1991||Crystal Spirit||4||Jimmy Frost||Ian Balding|
|1992||Thetford Forest||5||Richard Dunwoody||David Nicholson|
|1993||Gaelstrom||6||Carl Llewellyn||Nigel Twiston-Davies|
|1994||Danoli||6||Charlie Swan||Tom Foley|
|1995||Putty Road||5||Norman Williamson||David Nicholson|
|1996||Urubande||6||Charlie Swan||Aidan O'Brien|
|1997||Istabraq||5||Charlie Swan||Aidan O'Brien|
|1998||French Holly||7||Andrew Thornton||Ferdy Murphy|
|1999||Barton||6||Lorcan Wyer||Tim Easterby|
|2000||Monsignor||6||Norman Williamson||Mark Pitman|
|no race 2001 |
|2002||Galileo||6||Jason Maguire||Tom George|
|2003||Hardy Eustace||6||Kieran Kelly||Dessie Hughes|
|2004||Fundamentalist||6||Carl Llewellyn||Nigel Twiston-Davies|
|2005||No Refuge||5||Graham Lee||Howard Johnson|
|2006||Nicanor||5||Paul Carberry||Noel Meade|
|2007||Massini's Maguire||6||Richard Johnson||Philip Hobbs|
|2008||Fiveforthree||6||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2009||Mikael d'Haguenet||5||Ruby Walsh||Willie Mullins|
|2010||Peddlers Cross||5||Jason Maguire||Donald McCain|
1 The 2001 running was cancelled because of a foot-and-mouth crisis.
- ↑ Wood, Greg (2009-12-12). "Neptune signs up to back Cheltenham Festival race". London: guardian.co.uk. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/dec/12/cheltenham-festival-neptune-sponsor. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- cheltenham.co.uk – Media information pack (2010).
- pedigreequery.com – Baring Bingham Novices' Hurdle – Cheltenham.
- Recurring sporting events established in 1971 – this race is included under its original title, Aldsworth Hurdle.