New York Derby
The New York Derby is the second leg of the "Big Apple Triple," a grouping of three races in New York state for New York breds. A horse who wins all three of the Big Apple Triple wins the purse total of $400,000 plus a $250,000 bonus. The first leg is the Mike Lee Handicap run at Belmont Park, and the third leg is the Albany Stakes at Saratoga Race Course. The series began in 1999.
The New York Derby is held at the Finger Lakes Racetrack and is open to three-year-olds of either gender running at a mile and one/sixteenth on the dirt. It offers a purse of $150,000. Although it is not restricted to registered New York breds, due to the racing conditions, it still not an open race.
This race was called the New York Breeders' Derby from 1969 to 1971, the New York Derby Handicap in 1974, and the New York Derby from 1977 to date.
Julie Krone won the Derby on Copper Mound in 1994.
In 2008, Tin Cup Chalice won the first Big Apple Triple by taking the Albany Stakes, the New York Derby, and the Mike Lee Handicap. In the Albany Stakes, Tin Cup Chalice went up against Big Truck, a Kentucky Derby horse and Icabad Crane, a Preakness Stakes horse.
- 2009 - Pocket Cowboys (Paul A. Nicol, Jr.)
- 2008 - Tin Cup Chalice (Pedro Rodriguez)
- 2007 - Chief's Lake (Channing Hill)*
- 2006 - Ferocious Won (John Grabowski)
- 2005 - Accountforthegold (Raymond Sabourin)
- 2004 - Don Corleone (Dean Frates)
- 2003 - Traffic Chief (John Davila, Jr.)
- 2002 - Trial Prep (John Grabowski)
- 2001 - Sweet Ricky (Camillo Pitty)
- 2000 - Image Maker (Filiberto Leon)
- 1999 - David (Aaron Gryder)
- 1998 - Iron Cop (O. Castillo)
- 1997 - Mr. Groush (Jorge F. Chavez)
- 1996 - Carr Tech (J. R. Davila Jr.)
- 1995 - Demon Damon (R. B. Perez)
- 1994 - Copper Mount (Julie Krone)
- 1993 - Sky Carr (P. A. Nicol Jr.)
- 1992 - Montreal Marty (W. H. McCauley)
- 1991 - Excellent Tipper (Craig Perret)
- 1990 - Candid Cameron (Dave Penna)
- 1989 - Packett's Landing (K. Whitley)
- 1988 - Cavanagh Special (N. Santagata)
- 1987 - Embrace's Sybling (L Hulet)*
- 1986 - I'm Your Boy (Frank Lovato, Jr.)
- 1985 - Another Summer (N. Santagata)
- 1984 - Talc Duster (K. Skinner)
- 1983 - Dr. Billy B (K. Whitley)
- 1982 - Shy Groom (K. Whitley)
- 1981 - Adirondack Holme (R. Hernandez)
- 1980 - Quintessential (Frank Lovato, Jr.)
- 1979 - Dedicated Rullah (Jose Amy)
- 1978 - Fio Rito (H. Villar)
- 1977 - Sir Prove It (O. Rosado)
- 1974 - Rubles Brothers (R. Fletcher)
- 1971 - Swift Wings (R. Cox)
- 1970 - Lord Tibetot (G. Kent)
- 1969 - Happy Turning (C. Ledezma)
In 1994, Copper Mount's time is both a stakes and track record for one mile and one-eighth.
In 1987, Embrace's Sybling, and in 2007, Chief's Lake, both won the New York Derby after the horse ahead of them was disqualified.