Phoenix Park Racecourse
Phoenix Park Racecourse is a former horse racing venue in Ireland. It was located in the north-west corner of Dublin on the northern edge of Phoenix Park. The course was founded by J. H. H. Peard, and racing began there in 1902.
From 1939 to 1950 the track was managed by Mr Peard's son Harry, and thereafter it was run by his widow Fanny. Mrs Peard retired in 1969, and the course was later owned by a consortium which included Vincent O'Brien and Robert Sangster. Due to financial difficulties the track was closed for racing in late 1990.
Several of Ireland's leading flat races, which are presently contested at other venues, originally took place at Phoenix Park. These include the Irish Champion Stakes and the Phoenix Stakes. Other races of note held at Phoenix Park include the G III Vauxhall Trial Stakes.
- tbheritage.com – Race Courses of Great Britain and Ireland.
|41px||This article about a horse racing venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|