Pony Turf Club
The Pony Turf Club was a body which regulated the racing of horses of under 15 hands in the United Kingdom from its foundation in 1923 until the early 1960s.
The club was founded by Major R G Alexander, and was officially recognised by the Jockey Club in 1924 following the support of Lord Derby. The Stewards by 1929 included The Earl of Carnarvon, Sir William Bass and Viscount Lascelles.
In 1929, a dedicated racetrack was opened in Northolt, Middlesex and during the 1930s pony races are recorded as being held throughout the South West of England, as well as at Portsmouth Park (Paulsgrove), Worthing, Chelmsford, Southend, Sketty Park near Swansea and Lilleshall Hall, Shropshire.
During the 1940s, further investment was made in a track at Mallory Park, near Kirkby Mallory, Leicestershire, although this was never completed and the site was put to other uses . Pony racing continued at Shirley in the West Midlands until 1953 and later at Hawthorn Hill, Maidenhead, Berkshire.
As interest in the sport dwindled, the Pony Turf Club eventually went into liquidation.