Prix Jean Romanet
|Group 1 race|
|Prix Jean Romanet|
|Race type||Flat / Thoroughbred|
|Distance||2,000 metres (1¼ miles)|
|Qualification||Four-years-old and up|
fillies & mares
1st: 57.14%, 2nd: 22.86%
3rd: 11.43%, 4th: 5.71%
The Prix Jean Romanet is a Group 1 flat horse race in France which is open to thoroughbred fillies and mares aged four years or older. It is run at Deauville over a distance of 2,000 metres (about 1¼ miles), and it is scheduled to take place each year in August.
The event is named in memory of Jean Romanet (1914–2003), who was a prominent figure in French racing. Romanet devoted much of his life to the Société d'Encouragement, a precursor to France Galop, and he was the general manager of the organisation from 1961 to 1986. He also wrote articles on horse breeding for magazines such as Sport-Complet, using the pen name N. E. Marot. His son Louis Romanet is the chairman of the International Federation of Horse Racing Authorities.
The Prix Jean Romanet is one of several races for older fillies which were introduced across Europe in 2004. These events were designed as incentives to keep more horses of this gender from being exported or prematurely retired to stud. The Prix Jean Romanet was initially classed at Group 2 level, and it was promoted to Group 1 status in 2009.
Leading jockey (2 wins):
- Thierry Thulliez – Satwa Queen (2006, 2007)
Leading trainer (2 wins):
- Alain de Royer-Dupré – Pride (2005), Alpine Rose (2009)
- Jean de Roualle – Satwa Queen (2006, 2007)
Leading owner (2 wins):
- Steven & Gillian Lamprell – Satwa Queen (2006, 2007)
|2004||Whortleberry||4||Thierry Gillet||François Rohaut||Jacques Berès||2:12.9|
|2005||Pride||5||Christophe Lemaire||Alain de Royer-Dupré||NP Bloodstock Ltd||2:08.8|
|2006||Satwa Queen||4||Thierry Thulliez||Jean de Roualle||S. & G. Lamprell||2:11.9|
|2007||Satwa Queen||5||Thierry Thulliez||Jean de Roualle||S. & G. Lamprell||2:11.1|
|2008||Folk Opera||4||Frankie Dettori||Saeed bin Suroor||Godolphin||2:10.7|
|2009||Alpine Rose||4||Gérald Mossé||Alain de Royer-Dupré||Ecurie des Monceaux et al.||2:05.5|
- france-galop.com – A Brief History: Prix Jean Romanet.
- galop.courses-france.com – Prix Jean Romanet – Palmarès depuis 2004.
- horseracingintfed.com – International Federation of Horseracing Authorities – Prix Jean Romanet (2009).
- pedigreequery.com – Prix Jean Romanet – Deauville.