Roscommon () is the county seat of County Roscommon in Ireland.
The name Roscommon is derived from Coman mac Faelchon who built a monastery there in the 5th century. The woods near the monastery became known as Saint Coman's Wood (Ros Comáin). This was later anglicised to Roscommon. The town is the location of a noteable archaeological find in 1945 when a lunula, a gold necklace, and two discs were discovered. Both items are dated to the period 2,300 and 1,800 BC.
It was the homeland of The Connachta dynasty, and included such kingdoms as Uí Maine, Delbhna Nuadat, Síol Muirdeach, and Moylurg. In addition, it contained areas known as Trícha cét's, Túath and is the homeland of surnames such as Ó Conchobhair (O'Connor), Mac Diarmada (McDermott), Ó Ceallaigh (Kelly), Ó Birn (Beirne, Byrne, Burns), Mac Donnchadha (McDonough).
This market town once had a hangwoman called Lady Betty, as well as a Dominican friary, founded in 1253 by King Felim of Connacht (see abbeys and priories in Ireland). Roscommon Castle, built in 1269, is an Anglo-Norman fortress.
Places of Interest
Roscommon Golf Club was founded in 1904, the course, set in parklands filled with mature sycamore, beech, whitethorn trees and ash trees, was extended to eighteen holes in 1996 and now measures 6,390 metres (6,900 yards). Dr. Hyde Park, with a capacity of 30,000 is an important GAA venue in Ireland and is home to the county footballers and Roscommon Gaels club. A horse racing course is situated approximately 1.6 km (1 mi) from the town centre, the track itself is an oblong right-handed track 2 km (1.25 mi) in length, the course has stabling for up to 95 horses.
Roscommon has a leisure centre which opened early 2002 and has a 25 m (82 ft)deck level pool with a learner swimming pool and spectator gallery and fully equipped gymnasium. Situated next to the swimming pool is the home of Roscommon's most successful sport - St Coman's handball club. Established in 1930 the club has produced many All-Ireland and even World championship winning handballers. Mote Park, approximately 1.6 km (1 mi) from the town centre is a woodland area covering several miles and is popular with walkers.
Roscommon Castle to the north of the town was built by the Normans in 1269 and four years later was captured by the Irish and razed to the ground, to be rebuilt in 1280. In the spacious main street is the beautiful renovated Bank of Ireland which was once the courthouse and afterwards served as the Catholic Church until 1903.
- Roscommon railway station opened on 13 February 1860.
- Roscommon is situated near the major road networks in Ireland.
- Bus Éireann runs regular bus services to other major towns which can be taken from the Mart Road.
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- Market Houses in Ireland
- Lord Roscommon
- ↑ "Roscommon Golf Course". GolfMaster. http://www.golfmaster.ie/showdetail.asp?type=crs&id=265. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- ↑ "Roscommon station". Railscot - Irish Railways. http://www.railscot.co.uk/Ireland/Irish_railways.pdf. Retrieved 2007-09-2007.