He came into racing by getting a job with trainer Bryan McMahon, and it was for McMahon that Sanders rode his first winner on 12 June 1990 on Band On The Run.
He took over from George Duffield in 2004 as first jockey to Sir Mark Prescott, and in 2006 Sanders rode Confidential Lady to victory in the French Oaks giving Prescott his first Classic success. Sanders was later banned for 8 days for excessive use of the whip, and thus missed the entire Royal Ascot meeting.
Sanders has been one of Britain's most successful flat race jockeys in recent years, having ridden over 100 winners every season for the last 5 seasons.
In the 2007 season Seb Sanders shared the British flat racing Champion Jockey's title with Jamie Spencer. On the final day of a thrilling season at Doncaster their seasonal totals finished level at 190-190, when Spencer won the very last race of the season.
Sanders' agent is Keith Bradley, a former freelance IT consultant, who has booked his rides for thirteen years. Bradley has also represented 3 former champion apprentice jockeys; Stephen Davies (1994), Seb Sanders (1995) and Tom Queally (1996).
Flag of United Kingdom Great Britain
- Golden Jubilee Stakes - (1) - Kingsgate Native (2008)
- July Cup - (1) - Compton Place (1997)
- Nunthorpe Stakes - (1) - Bahamian Pirate (2004)
- Oaks - (1) - Look Here (2008)
Flag of France France
- Prix de Diane - (1) - Confidential Lady (2006)
Flag of Germany Germany
- Preis von Europa - (1) - Albanova (2004)
Flag of Republic of Ireland Ireland
- Irish 2,000 Guineas - (1) - Bachelor Duke (2004)