|Directed by||Randall Wallace|
|Written by||Mike Rich|
|Music by||Nick Glennie-Smith|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Pictures|
|Release date(s)||October 8, 2010|
Secretariat is an upcoming 2010 American film for Walt Disney Pictures and Mayhem Pictures. The film is being directed by Randall Wallace. Diane Lane portrays Secretariat's owner, Penny Chenery, and John Malkovich plays the part of Secretariat's trainer, Lucien Laurin. The trailer was attached with select prints of Toy Story 3.
Filming is on location in Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky and around Lafayette, Louisiana and Carencro, Louisiana. The film is scheduled to be released on October 8, 2010.
The film tells the story of the Penny Chenery and her United States' Hall of Fame racehorse, Secretariat who, in 1973, became the first horse in twenty-five years to win the United States Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing. The story centers around Penny Chenery who took over the financially troubled Meadow Stable from her ailing father and guided the horse through his Triple Crown season. Other key characters are trainer Lucien Laurin and jockey Ron Turcotte.
- Diane Lane as Penny Chenery
- John Malkovich as Lucien Laurin
- Graham McTavish as Carl Hatton
- Kevin Connolly as Bill Nack
- Scott Glenn as Christopher Chenery
- James Cromwell as Ogden Phipps
- Amanda Michalka as Kate Chenery
- Nelsan Ellis as Eddie Sweat
- Dylan Walsh as John Tweedy
- Fred Dalton Thompson as Bull Hancock
- Eric Lange as Andy Beyer
- Otto Thorwarth as Ron Turcotte
- Drew Roy
- Cory Gilbert
- Margo Martindale
- Grant Whitacre
- Dylan Baker
According to one of the film's producers, the horse wrangler who worked on Seabiscuit is casting several horses to play Secretariat. The film is based largely on William Nack's book Secretariat: The Making of a Champion. He is also a consultant for the film. Part of the film was shot on location in both Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky for three weeks and the production has since moved on to Louisiana to reproduce the Triple Crown infields at Evangeline Downs, located in Opelousas,Louisiana.
- ↑ Copley, Rich (April 28, 2010). "Secretariat returns to Derby in movie form". Kansas City Star. http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/27/1908398/secretariat-returns-to-derby-in.html. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Szkotak, Steve (October 11, 2009). "Production begins on Secretariat; 2010 release eyed". Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2009/10/11/secretariat_filming_begins_fall_2010_release_eyed/. Retrieved 2009-10-11.
- ↑ Kiesewetter, John (October 11, 2009). "Will Hollywood come back to town?". Cincinnati Enquirer. http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091011/ENT02/910110328/1025/ENT. Retrieved 2009-10-11.