Sha Tin Racecourse
|Sha Tin Racecourse|
|Location||Sha Tin District, 22x20px Hong Kong|
|Owned by||Hong Kong Jockey Club|
|Date opened||October 7, 1978|
|Notable Races|| Group One races:|
Hong Kong Derby
Queen Elizabeth II Cup
Hong Kong International Races
Hong Kong Triple Crown
Penfold Park is encircled by the track.
It was built in 1978 (under the administration of Sir David Akers-Jones, the then-Secretary for the New Territories) on reclaimed land and is the larger of the two tracks in Hong Kong.
The course has 474 races per season including:
- Sha Tin Racecourse Silver Jubilee Cup
- Sha Tin Sprint Trophy
On September 9, 2007, Sha Tin race track opened with record 1-day crowd of about 60,000. Chief Secretary Henry Tang stroke the ceremonial gong. The Hong Kong Jockey Club collected US$106 million in bets (highest since 2001). Children of horse owners were admitted amid protest of local anti-gambling groups. Sunny Power, booted by Howard Cheng got the trophy in the 1,200 metre dash.
Originally built with capacity for 35,000 and one grandstand, it now has capacity for 85,000 and two grandstands. It also has 23 stables for a capacity of 1,260 horses.
Other features include:
- Equine Hospital
- Racing Laboratory
- Equine Swimming Pool
- Riverside Gallop
Turf Straight: 430 metres
Circumference: 1899 metres
All Weather Track Straight: 380 metres
Circumference: 1560 metres