|Sire||Street Cry (IRE)|
|Dam||Maria Di Castiglia (GB)|
|Breeder||George & Felicity Fraser, Ilala Stud|
|Shocking is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Maria Di Castiglia (GB) by Street Cry (IRE). He was born around 2005 in Australia, and was bred by George & Felicity Fraser, Ilala Stud.|
Melbourne Cup (2009)|
Lexus Stakes (2009)
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
|Last updated on 13 November 2009|
Shocking is by the outstanding sire, Street Cry (Ireland) out of Maria Di Castaglia by Danehill (USA). George Fraser purchased Maria di Castiglia (GB) while she was carrying Shocking in utero at a William Inglis bloodstock sale for $20,000. Mr Fraser later sold the resulting foal, Shocking, at the 2007 Magic Millions Yearling Sale for $45,000 to a local horse broker. After being broken in, he was sold on to Laurence Eales for $64,000 in late 2007.
At the time of winning the Melbourne Cup he was four years old and had qualified after winning the Lexus Stakes over 2,500 metres at Flemington on 31 October 2009. The Melbourne Cup was Shocking's 15th start. He defeated Crime Scene (ridden by Kerrin McEvoy) and Mourilyan (ridden by Glyn Schofield) who placed second and third respectively.
The Melbourne Cup win by Shocking elevated Street Cry to the top of the Australian Sires lists for progeny earnings.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shocking's racing record
- ↑ "Shocking claims Melbourne Cup win". BBC Sport. 2009-11-03. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8338232.stm. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- ↑ 2009 Melbourne Cup result
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harvey, Virginia (12 November 2009). "Alex stoked at Muswellbrook win". The Land (Rural Press): p. 64.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Mark Kavanagh's Shocking wins Melbourne Cup, The Australian, November 03, 2009
- ↑ Cairns tiler's Shocking win in Melbourne Cup, The Cairns Post, November 04, 2009
- Unattributed (2010-01-01). "Sport quotes of 2009 – Part 2". The Age: p. Sport section, p. 4. http://www.theage.com.au/sport/sport-quotes-of-2009-part-two-20100102-llyv.html. — Contains an interesting quote from Kevin Thomas, the Queensland horse broker who sold Shocking for $64,000 in late 2007.