Sir Beaufort Stakes
The Sir Beaufort Stakes is a Thoroughbred horse race run at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California at the end of the year. A Grade III stakes race for three-year-old horses, it's set at a distance of 1 mile (8 furlongs) on the turf and offers a purse of $100,000.
The Sir Beaufort, named for Sir Beaufort, a fine stakes winner in the early 1990s, was downgraded to an ungraded stakes race in 2008 because it was taken off the turf and run on the main track. But, after deliberating, the American Graded Stakes Committee has reinstated its grade status. Gio Ponti, 2008's winner, is now credited with a Grade III win.
In 2005, the race was run in two divisions.
- 2009 - The Usual Q.T. (1:34.58) (Victor Espinoza)
- 2008 – Gio Ponti (1:34.92) (Garrett Gomez) (El Gato Malo placed off the turf.)
- 2007 - Monterey Jazz (1:34.36) (Twilight Meteor came in third.)
- 2005 - Chinese Dragon (1:35.09) (1st Division)
- 2005 -Tedo (1:34.34) (2nd Division) (Eastern Sand placed.)
- 2004 - Whilly (1:34.60)
- 2003 - Buckland Manor (1:36.08) (Corey Nakatani) (Switched to dirt after heavy rains.)
- 2002 - Inesperado (1:35.82)
- 2001 - Orientate (1:36.39) (American Champion Sprint Horse, 2002)