Solwhit and jockey Davy Russell at the 2009 WBX Fighting Fifth Hurdle
|Breeder||Har De Preaux|
|Owner||Top Of The Hill Syndicate|
|Solwhit is a thoroughbred racehorse out of Toowhit Towhee by Solon. He was born around 2004 in France, and was bred by Har De Preaux.|
Irish Champion Hurdle (2010)|
|Horse (Equus ferus caballus)|
Solwhit (foaled on April 17th, 2004 in France) is an French thoroughbred racehorse, born to sire, Solon and dam, Toowhit Towhee. He is owned by the Top Of The Hill Syndicate and is trained by Charles Byrnes. Throughout his time as a racehorse, he has been predominately ridden by Davy Russell. As of May 2010, Solwhit has amassed a career record of 11 wins, 2 places and 2 shows while accumulating £555,205 in lifetime earnings in just 19 starts.
Solwhit started racing as a three year old in September 2007 when he was entered into the Prix De Belleville, finishing well off the lead. His first ever win came in his second race, the Prix Verdi Hurdle in November 2007 in which he bested a field of 19 for the victory. Solwhit’s first major victory came in February 2009 when he won the Red Mills Trial Hurdle at Gowran Park in County Kilkenny, Ireland, a Grade 2 National Hunt race. In that race, he defeated Jazz Messenger by 3.5 lengths for the victory.
As of May 2010, Solwhit has won a total of four Grade 1 races. His first came in April 2009 in the Aintree Hurdle at Aintree Racecourse in Merseyside, England. In that race, he defeated a field of 16 and held off Fiveforthree by just a half of a length for the victory. In his very next race, Solwhit won the 2009 Punchestown Champion Hurdle at Punchestown Racecourse in Naas, County Kildare, Ireland.
Solwhit’s success at the end of the 2008-2009 racing season carried over into the 2009-2010 season when he won his third Grade 1 race, the December Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown Racecourse in Leopardstown, County Dublin. En route to the victory, Solwhit defeated Sublimity by two lengths. His fourth Grade 1 victory game in January 2010 when he won the Irish Champion Hurdle, also held at Leopardstown Racecourse. There, he defeated a field of seven, including Sublimity and Celestial Halo.
- ↑ Solwhit Pedigree, pedigreequery.com, accessed 9 May 2010.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Solwhit History, racingpost.com, accessed 9 May 2010
- ↑ Jumbo can defy weight to see off talented rivals, independent.ie, 13 February 2010, accessed 8 May 2010.
- ↑ Solwhit secures win to keep Irish eyes smiling, independent.ie, 6 April 2009, accessed 9 May 2010.
- ↑ Solwhit edges out Punjabi, skysports.com, 1 May 2009, accessed 9 May 2010.
- ↑ Solwhit shines in December, 29 December 2009, accessed 9 May 2010.
- ↑ Solwhit clinches Irish Champion Hurdle win, news.bbc.co.uk, 24 January 2010, accessed 9 May 2010.